Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I learn to piece together code snippets or source code from different open source apps?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Advice Pro

Advice Pro

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 13 October 2009 - 05:58 PM

This sounds easy, but it's probably harder than it sounds. I wouldn't know how to combine web code into a script. I hope there is some software that can automatically do this or at least help me do this! I can of course hire a freelancer to do this, but I'd like to learn and at least do as much as I can.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:21 PM

What do you mean by "Web Code?" I have never heard of it. I have heard of HTML, which is a language used to describe how content is displayed in a browser. I have heard of CSS which is used to decorate web pages and make them pretty. And I have heard of JavaScript which is used to add functionality to web pages. What is it specifically that you are trying to do? Combine content from different web pages to create a new page?

#3 Advice Pro

Advice Pro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:23 PM

I was referring to languages like PHP, JavaScript, & Python.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:20 PM

There is no software that will automatically combine snippets of code to form one coherent piece of code.

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:39 PM

Further, integrating widget A from group X with widget B from group Y to make superwidget C would require an intimate knowledge of the underlying language(s), principles, and schemas used by the groups making widgets A and B that could only be arrived at by close and exhaustive study of the widgets in question.

That isn't to say that it's impossible to do, not at all. Just impossible to automate. You wouldn't expect to be able to combine a car and a washing machine without a solid background in internal combustion engines and plumbing, right? Same deal.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 13 October 2009 - 09:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users