Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC behaving odly - don't know what to do

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bagotel

bagotel

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:12 PM

Hi everybody

The story started a while ago with a newish samsung 1TB internal hard drive that somehow managed to lose most things on it. I used uneraser to get most of it back from the ether.
Then, chkdsk started running on the second partition in my other hard drive (hitachi). I ran a full chkdsk and then some other windows app that someone suggested on a forum and that seemed to solve it.
Now the PC is running slow and wierd things are going on like everytime I open mediamonkey it won't open and instead says things like 'MediaMonkey.exe - Bad Image' This box won't go away.
When I click 'start' some of the apps pinned to the start menu are coming up with the icon that says pc doesn't know which program to use and won't open
Taskkiller will not open either.
I have avast antivirus running and tried to do a check with spybot but that won't open either.
Ran a hijackthis scan but I don't know enough to make sense of it.

Please, please could someone more knowledgeable than me provide some guidance. I would really appreciate it

thanks a lot

bagotel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:35 PM

Hello let's try to get an MBAM log.

Next run MBAM (MalwareBytes):

NOTE: Before saving MBAM please rename it to zztoy.exe....now save it to your desktop.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.

alternate download link

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 bagotel

bagotel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2009 - 05:09 PM

Dear Boopme

Thank you so much for replying. I ran MBAM but it did not find anything
Here is the log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41
Database version: 2955
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

13/10/2009 23:06:07
mbam-log-2009-10-13 (23-06-07).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 468681
Time elapsed: 20 minute(s), 46 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

thanks again

bagotel

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,440 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:31 PM

Hello again. Perhaps some file corruption in is effect.
Please run System File Checker sfc /scannow... For more information on this tool see How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files

NOTE for Vista users..The command needs to be run from an elevated Command Prompt.
Click Start, type cmd into the Start/Search box,
right-click cmd.exe in the list above and select 'Run as Administrator'

You will need your operating system CD handy.

Open Windows Task Manager....by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

Then click File.. then New Task(Run)

In the box that opens type sfc /scannow ......There is a space between c and /

Click OK
Let it run and insert the XP CD when asked.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 bagotel

bagotel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:28 PM

Hi Boopme

I tried doing "Open Windows Task Manager....by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

Then click File.. then New Task(Run)

In the box that opens type sfc /scannow ......There is a space between c and /

Click OK"

but the cmd box flashes up for a millisecond and then nothing happens

thanks

bagotel

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,440 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:39 PM

I think you will have to do a Repair install.

Go here and scroll to XP Repair install
Michael Stevens MS-MVP

#7 bagotel

bagotel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2009 - 06:36 PM

thanks boopme I will have a go at that

tell me, I find it amazing that you help people like me for free, why do you do it?

thanks again

bagotel

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,440 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2009 - 09:53 AM

Hello,you're welcome.
Well, one is I like tp do it. But about 5 years ago .. I had a PC that got infected. It had all my business and financials on it Plus photo's and about 4 Gig of music. Every one told me I had to format and lose everything. I kept searching and found Bleepingcomputer. A fella named Grinler(who owns this website) helped me. It took a long time. He wanted nothing to do it. Long story short. I started reading everything on here and I never left. I guess it started as returning the favor.

Have a great day.

#9 bagotel

bagotel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 01:15 PM

that's very admirable. Hopefully one day I may know enough to pass on the favour, although I have been doing my bit helping my friends protect their machines. What do the people that run this site get out it? Do they make any money? I would happily subscribe for this sort of help!

Before I do the repair install, I have a copy of XP that I got from work a while ago that I used to set up on this machine. Will the repair install work with this disc or should I buy an original version of XP or maybe even Windows 7?

thanks

bagotel

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,440 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:05 AM

Hello. They all volunteer. The advertisements non members see,pay the cost of running the site.
If you have the registration key for that copy that is installed it will work. If not you will need a personal copy.

#11 bagotel

bagotel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:32 PM

Hi boopme

turns out I haven't got an xp disc after all! should I buy one or do you recommend going with windows 7?

bagotel

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,440 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 09:34 AM

Well run this and it will tell which route you will need to take.

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor

Also do you have your registration Key? If so you need only to borrow someones XP disk you can run the disk but you will need your key for it to complete.

Edited by boopme, 31 October 2009 - 09:37 AM.

#13 bagotel

bagotel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2009 - 05:02 AM

thanks boopme

ran the upgrade advisor and my stuff is compatible and I don't have the reg key so I will have to buy an OS - what do you think of 7? I know that vista was bollocks and I am happy with XP so if you were in my position would you buy Xp or 7?

bagotel

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,440 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 04:53 PM

Hi sorry we lost the Net here for a day. I have installed 7 a month ago . I think like it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users