Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

winxp sp3 linksys WKR54G

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 swtexas70

swtexas70

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 13 October 2009 - 12:32 PM

After hours on the phone with Trendnet (TEW 421PC card which states it will support WPA systems) and searching forums all over the place, I still cannot get connected on my home network. I had to reinstall WinXP Pro, and I updated it with SP2 and SP3. My Linksys WKR54G works perfectly with a Vista connected desktop and a Vista laptop on a WPA--PreShared Key network. The Trendnet shows up in the Device Manager as Realtek RTL83815 Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter.

Trendnet had me download a driver for the device, and I still get WEP as the network encryption. They said the problem was with the Service Pack. I removed both SP 2 and 3 and started over again--all to no avail.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

swtexas70

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:46 PM

While I would think this MS update is included in perhaps SP2 or 3. Perhaps it is not. To establish WPA on a lap top I recently worked on I had to d\l this update separately.

Windows XP Support Patch for Wi-Fi Protected Access

#3 swtexas70

swtexas70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 13 October 2009 - 02:11 PM

I tried the download, but it told me that it was already installed.

Any other suggestions?

swtexas70

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:41 PM

It does sound like a problem with the card and not XP. You can try going here. Following the instructions to d\l the proper driver for your card. Take note there are several versions of your card so follow the directions carefully.

I would then uninstall any current software related to your wireless card using add\remove. Restart your PC. When it restarts cancel out of the new found hardware wizard. Then install the d\l`d driver.

I believe the network device you are looking at is actually for the wired NIC not for the wireless. Are there any ? or ! in device manager?

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 13 October 2009 - 05:44 PM

The other thing I will add is do you use the software from the card or windows to manage your wireless?

If you take away the WPA on the router will the wireless connect? I would check that before I worried about WPA =)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users