Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive IS dying. What is the best way to save what I have?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Shandley

Shandley

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:34 AM

Greetings,

I am hoping for some help here.

I have a computer with an old Maxtor Hard Drive (80GB) model number: 6Y080L0421001. It started to make clicking noises (lucky me). Knowing some about computers, I took the side cover off and found it was the hard drive making that noise. I am going to try to attach a sound clip of the noise it makes. Kind of a cachunk... cachunk.. cachunk noise. Not a horrific slow motor noise or a head grinding noise but a subtle trying to find its way home noise.

Note: The BIOS detects the drive failing drive.

I tried using partition magic to create a direct partition to a new drive but that failed at 5% with an error #43(?) CRC error.

I tried a new Power Supply Unit and new cables in the second IDE slot on the motherboard with the same results.

I plugged the drive into my USB enclosure and was able to load up the index tables but I could not access some important stuff (my guess is a windows protection policy of some sort) like the user under Documents and Settings.

I then tried to scan it using Maxtools. It showed up errors and the drive started clicking again.

The truth be told, I gave the drive a smack on the side of it. Right after that I started the next scan.

I used SeaTools to scan the drive. 110 errors have been found. All but 15 errors were at 99%

Anyways, I know the drive is failing. I don't want to do any more damage until I can get the data off, preferably a partition copy after a corrective scan. Any ideas on how I can do something like that?

Time is a factor so all ideas are welcome.

Attached Files

Edited by Shandley, 13 October 2009 - 11:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:02 PM

<<...but I could not access some important stuff (my guess is a windows protection policy of some sort) like the user under Documents and Settings.>>

That's normal, when moving a drive from one system to a different system.

Can be overcome by How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421.

Louis

#3 Shandley

Shandley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:08 PM

Thank you. I will try that.

Just performed a chkdsk /f /r on the drive. It had some sectors that were unreadable and it had some trouble at the 97% mark of the last step (verifying free space) but I think it fixed it. I get the feeling that the unreadable sectors will forever prevent me from making a partition copy.

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 788 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 13 October 2009 - 05:24 PM

No ( !!! ); the answer is simple:
Get another 80 to 120GB drive. (Must be more sectors than the Maxtor; but, smaller than 128GB or it won't boot when you're done!)
then get Roadkill's Rawcopy ( http://www.roadkil.net/program.php?ProgramID=22 ).
Unplug your CD, plug the cables into the new drive, use Rawcopy to copy the drive, switch the new drive where the old one was physically, plug the CD back in, and voila, problem solved.....

Rawcopy WILL continue after any "bad sectors" and replacing the failng hard drive solves that problem, too
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users