Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nslookup DNS time out

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bleepingnetwork

bleepingnetwork

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:29 AM

Hey all,
Been setting up a new x64 DC and I came across an issue, not sure what I am doing wrong but would like to fix it. We have a older x86 system in which has been the DC and DNS server for a while and that one works fine, however I need to replace it with the new one. I was hoping to take the new DC have it share all services while I do this change and gradually move things over. The first issue I have came accross is when doing a NSlookup on the clients the new system is giving me the following.

c:\nslookup
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Can't find server name for address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: Timed out
Default Server: TheOldDc.xxxxx.xxxl
Address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

this states that it cannot find the "server name". I am able to ping the system by IP and it's name.

I thought I set it up correctly but for some reason I am thinking it could be a reverse or forward lookup zone issue. but before I go into learning the finer points on those I want to make sure I am going in the right direction.

Any and all help is appreciated.

BleepingNetwork

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bleepingnetwork

bleepingnetwork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:50 AM

I set it up as a secondary zone.

#3 bleepingnetwork

bleepingnetwork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:04 AM

issue is still around. Anyone out there on this bleepinginternet have a idea? lets discuss :thumbsup:

#4 bleepingnetwork

bleepingnetwork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:49 AM

I still have the issue, anyone there interested in working through this?

#5 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:53 AM

Your original DNS server is running on Windows 2000? 2003? 2003 R2?

How is your DNS setup on the original machine?

What DNS servers do you have "hard coded" on the new machine?

How is DNS setup on the new server ( x64 box )?

What Version windows is the X64 box? 2003, 2008?
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#6 bleepingnetwork

bleepingnetwork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:36 AM

We are a child domain, yet very little from the parent effects us, with the exception of firewalls on the WAN side of things.

Running server 2003 32

could you be a bit more specific on ..."How is your DNS setup on the original machine?"
I have the older 32 bit set up in the primary zone, pointing to itself as the DNS server, added the new one as a second dns, then a third one from the parent domain to us.

on the X64 it is 2003 x64, it is pointing to the same as above with the old dns server as the primamy, it self as the secondary, and the parent domains DNS server as a 3rd.

Active directory seemingly syncing between the two, set them up as dynamic, and so is wins. RSOP data on the other hand seems a bit fishy, I have noticed some workstations pulling from one or the other, then not recieving proper group policy. e.g. I put a policy in place and some machines are not recieving the the change while others are.

I added boths DNS servers to the host file (nt days) and it doesnt seem to make a difference.

When I physically disconnect the older DNS server the machines are not picking up the new DNS server and are going to the Parent domains DNS server..

Edited by bleepingnetwork, 25 November 2009 - 09:42 AM.

#7 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:10 AM

Are you running this across a vpn?
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#8 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:46 AM

Have you "Authorized" your DNS Server?

Once you set up a Domain Name Server, you have to authorize it to answer name service requests for your domain.
It sounds like you have the following setup:
  • Primary domain server for parent domain
  • Backup domain server running DNS for parent domain
  • Primary domain controller running DNS for child domain
The fact that you can ping by IP and not by name means that you probably need to make sure the DNS Server service is running and set to "Automatic" startup on the child domain controller. Check under "Administrative Tools" >> "Services" for this.

As a last resort, you can always install and run WINS (Windows Internet Naming Service) on the child domain controller. WINS is the Microsoft equivalent of Active Directory DNS for internal use.

It sounds like you have a bit of advanced knowledge in this area, so forgive me if I used too many acronyms. Here's a Microsoft step-by-step for 2003 server:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814591

#9 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:38 AM

Sorry for some of the responses in my original post, you have advanced knowledge and I missed some of your solutions already tried.

on the X64 it is 2003 x64, it is pointing to the same as above with the old dns server as the primamy, it self as the secondary, and the parent domains DNS server as a 3rd.

In the case of installing the child domain, you need to have the primary controller for the child domain listed first for DNS resolution. Otherwise, you have a domain with no primary DNS controller for name resolution. You can then list either the Primary or Secondary DNS server for the primary domain as a backup in case the child DNS server is unreachable.

could you be a bit more specific on ..."How is your DNS setup on the original machine?"
I have the older 32 bit set up in the primary zone, pointing to itself as the DNS server, added the new one as a second dns, then a third one from the parent domain to us.

Since you have two separate domains, a parent and a child, you need to make sure that you replicate the DNS records for each to each - otherwise they cant support each other:

Example:

Parent domain = foo.com
Child of the parent = operations.foo.com

DNS Server for parent = ParentDNS
DNS Server for child = ChildDNS

You have to make ParentDNS and ChildDNS the authoritative servers for DNS in their respective domains, and you have to add the child domain to the ParentDNS record and the parent domain to the ChildDNS record. Otherwise it doesn't matter how many computers you have tied to any domain - each domain will only be able to answer for itself.

I have noticed some workstations pulling from one or the other, then not recieving proper group policy. e.g. I put a policy in place and some machines are not recieving the the change while others are.

Replicate the policy changes to the child domain. Group policy is domain specific and belongs on the Domain Controller for each domain. You can have one policy for the parent and one for the child, but a child will not pull policy from the parent unless inherited.

Add the appropriate scope records for the Foward Lookup (i.e: Host, DNS, WINS, etc) and worry only about hostnames and IP addresses in the Reverse Lookup...

Hope this helps.

#10 Vijay Nalla

Vijay Nalla

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:41 AM

Hi,

Please check if you have PTR record of its own IP in your Primary DNS Server. It should Work.

In Reverse Lookup Zone, there should be two record as following Example

Same as parent Folder DNSSERVER.Dammy.com
x.x.x.x DNSSERVER.Dammy.com

Edited by Vijay Nalla, 10 June 2010 - 09:42 AM.

#11 bleepingnetwork

bleepingnetwork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:19 AM

Well It took a while but We got it. It took replacing the "host" file. Thanks for the help all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users