Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Harddrive lost........lesson learned

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:14 PM

I'm not looking for any help. The reason for this post is to provide some guidance to those using JUST an external drive as a backup.

My son-in-law had 8 years of photos backed up on a Western Digital harddrive. Most we're of his 2 daughters as they grew up. To give you an idea of how many pictures we are talking about, they took 1700 when they we're on a 7 day Disney Cruise last year.
The harddrive crashed about 3 months ago. He had all backed up onto the external and deleted them from his desktop to make more room. The harddrive would show on the desk top but never showed any files. After trying several computers with the same results, he brought the external to me. I removed the hdd from the external case and mounted it into my desktop. It showed nothing.
He ended up taking it in locally and they could see nothing. They sent it to a company in California and after 2 months and $1400 he had 75% of his files back. They told him the problem was in the hardware used in the external, not the disc itself.
We learned a lesson from this. Those precious photos can be backed up on a external harddrive, but also need to be on another media. I have my photos on the desktop, an external drive, and will either put them to disc or mount a 2nd hdd in my computer. Which ever way I go, I'll have double redundancy...........

The sad thing is I've been reading this site for about 2 years. Those that make this site what it is have preached over and over about this same issue, and it took this experience to bring it home for me. I'm a slow learner, but I have learned............ Thank you for what you do.

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:04 PM

I feel your pain, :thumbsup: I took a couple hundred photos of my grand daughters wedding, I backed them up to 2 on board HD's, and 1 external HD. I'm in the process of putting things onto disk now, because I'm building a new computer, and thought I would look at some of the pics. They were almost all corrupted, keep coming up as invalid jpeg's. I checked the external, same thing, I know now that i better put them on a disk a lot sooner. Hopefully I'll learn from this..
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:27 PM

There is data recovery software...which works quite well...which is available for much less than $1400.

I would have tried that before ever spending large chucks of money.

Louis

#4 jburd1800

jburd1800
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2009 - 02:24 PM

There is data recovery software...which works quite well...which is available for much less than $1400.

I would have tried that before ever spending large chucks of money.

Louis

And that would be which program?

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2009 - 02:46 PM

There are any number of programs that seem to work just fine with troublesome hard drives...for many of us.

My preference: GetDataBack - Data Recovery Software - http://runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm.

Louis

#6 jburd1800

jburd1800
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:36 PM

Tried several of them, including getdataback, w/o luck..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users