Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting up a VMware Virus-Testing Environment?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 darn4man

darn4man

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:29 PM

Hello (This is my first post),

I am fascinated by the kinds of viruses that are being created every day, and I am looking to see the effects on a computer that these viruses have. So...

I have decided to set up a virtual machine virus-testing environment. I'm looking to test newer viruses, and I wanted to ask if anyone had knowledge on how to prevent host - virtual machine interaction. I will most likely use a bridged network connection to my own computer, and I want to secure any possibility that a virus may infiltrate my host computer or the network on which i'm running, if there is any chance this could happen. I am just wanting to know if there is anything that i can do to secure the safety of my computer before i go ahead and set up this crazy idea?

Thanks in advance.

Other Info: Don't know if this matters: Running an XP Home Edition SP3 -- Pentium 4 Processor -- 3.00 GHz -- 1 GB of RAM

Running XP Home Edition on VMware Workstation version 6.5.3

Edited by Al1000, 05 February 2017 - 12:59 PM.
Moved from All Other Applications

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:50 PM

Hi darn4man, Welcome to the BC forums.

:thumbsup: Actually Boo, this is your SECOND post here on BC. Your first post was made on 30 Jan 2009 when you first joined BC. You received one reply and you have yet to acknowledge or answer it. It can be found "Here"

You might want to go over "Here" and register for an account. Then post the same question there. Avast is an Anti Virus company and if what you are trying to do gets away from you they might be able to help you reign it back in.

Wendy

Edited by Wendy K. Walker, 13 October 2009 - 12:05 AM.

TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#3 darn4man

darn4man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:19 AM

I decided to post this in the VMware community forum.

Thanks Wendy.

Edited by darn4man, 13 October 2009 - 03:20 PM.

#4 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:14 PM

Hi darn4man,

You're welcome, hope you find the answer to your question.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users