Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After Nvidia driver install, XP boots to black screen.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Xorgar

Xorgar

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:50 PM

Hello,

First of all this is my system configuration..

Display:Geforce 8500Gt
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Memory: 2048MB RAM

My problem occurred while i was playing Prototype. I left the computer for a while and when i came back the screen was black. I restart the system and the first thing i realize that the bios logo was contoured and distorted by some pixel sized dots. The XP loading logo was also the same and after the XP loading screen there is black screen. Sorry don`t have a camera for screen shots.

The computer only boots if I remove the Nvidia drivers in safe mode and it looks fine. If I install the drivers again there is black screen after the XP loading screen. I tried to install various versions of Nvidia drivers in safe mode by using Driver Sweeper, formatted my computer several times, flash the bios with the latest version but nothing changed. The logos are still distorted and it doesn`t boot after the driver installation.

I thought it was a hardware problem and I get the pc to the service, the technician guy fixed it and told me that it is a software problem (so no guarantee favor he says) and probably caused by a virus. I tried to get detailed information but the crowd and the grumpy boss doesn`t let me.

Anyways I get back home and the next day probably after I plug my external hard drive, the same thing happened again, I installed Avast and had a virus check, it found some named CTU8R.exe. It swept them all. I ran Malware bytes and some other protective softwares and now my pc seems clean but the problem stays still whatever i do.

At this point I`m looking for help here if possible. Because It`s really boring to carry the case around and they have no pity while charging bills at these days.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:47 PM

Try hitting FN keys+F6 that may let you get in to roll back the driver, if that don't work try to get into "Safe Mode" you may be able to roll back the driver. I had a similar issue awhile back the the first step fixed the entire problem, hope it works well for you also.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Xorgar

Xorgar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:48 AM

I don`t have any Fn key. I tried to roll back the driver over device manager but it doesn`t work. After the format it couldn`t find any to roll back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users