Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my HD really dead??

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 saw46

saw46

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:34 PM

I have an 8 year old (9/2001) Dell Dimension 4100 Desktop
60 GB Ultra ATA/100 Hard drive (IBM Deskstar)
1.10gig Intel Pentium III processor
Intel® 82801BA Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 244BI
Intel Board D815EEA AAA10383-407

OS: XP Pro SP3 --Clean install Jan. 09. (9/01- 1/09 OS was Win ME)

Sept 09 I installed 256 MG of additional memory in DIMM slot 2, bringing the total to 512MG
(Dell told me what to buy but I got it from Crucial)

October 1st ---I ran Chkdsk and then started to defrag. When I returned to the computer the screen was black with “Invalid boot diskette; Insert Boot diskette in A”….and it wouldn’t boot. It would hang on the splash screen for a very long time and then display the previous message.
In BIOS the hard drive did not show up.

Using XP setup disk to get to Recovery Console…I found “no hard drive installed” and so using FIX BOOT or FIX MBR BOOT got no response.

I ran Hitachi’s DFT but it couldn’t find the drive either."non installed" :thumbsup:

I would assume the hard drive was dead…except that everything I have read says that it could be either a software or hardware problem;--and more than once,…..my desktop has actually opened,..and then been quickly disabled by a stop error. Once I even found it listed in the BIOS,--I booted to desktop and it was stable for about 2 minutes before it changed to a long page of writing saying that:
__________________________________________________________________________________
“A problem has been detected with your system and windows has been shut down to prevent damage. Kernel-Data-Inpage_Error.
STOP: 0x0000007A
OC000000E
OXCOE1218
OXF848650C
OX1AC3A860

ATAPI System - address F848650C, Date Stamp 4802539d

Beginning of physical dump

I have also dusted the inside of the case and checked all of the connections.
I would just say it was dead and dump it, --it is obviously time for a new HD,…but if it isn’t the hard drive and I can recover for even an hour so that I can check and make certain that I have everything I need off the disk,..before I move on--I would like to do that.

It is often off for weeks at a time and I haven’t ever changed the CMOS battery..(8Yrs)..is there any chance that a dead battery could account of any of this??

Any ideas at all will be greatly appreciated, I really don’t know where to go from here. I guess putting a new hard drive into this old system would not be as smart as getting a new computer??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 12 October 2009 - 04:16 PM

Well...I'd expect the worst.

I have hard drives which are older which still work...but I don't expect them to last that long.

Two telling items:

a. BIOS cannot detect hard drive.

b. Suggested hard drive diagnostic cannot detect drive.

Assuming that the drive is properly connected and jumpered...that's a crucial 0 for 2.

Might as well disconnect the PSU and motherboard from the drive...and then reconnect both. Either both could be loosened, which might hinder detection.

Louis

As for putting money into a PIII system...no, I would suggest going forward if you can afford to do so.

Edited by hamluis, 12 October 2009 - 04:17 PM.

#3 saw46

saw46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:10 AM

Well...I'd expect the worst.

I have hard drives which are older which still work...but I don't expect them to last that long.

Two telling items:

a. BIOS cannot detect hard drive.

b. Suggested hard drive diagnostic cannot detect drive.

Assuming that the drive is properly connected and jumpered...that's a crucial 0 for 2.

Might as well disconnect the PSU and motherboard from the drive...and then reconnect both. Either both could be loosened, which might hinder detection.

Louis

As for putting money into a PIII system...no, I would suggest going forward if you can afford to do so.

#4 saw46

saw46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:17 AM

Thank you for responding. I'm sure that you are right, the drive must at least be failing, but what do you think the stop error which seems to concern virtual memory issues is about?? I 'm sure that Crucial sent me the correct memory module that I installed in September,...at least the specs seem correct, but can the bad hard drive cause the memory issues? Or is this installation timing a coincidence......?
Thanks again.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 13 October 2009 - 12:59 PM

A bad hard drive...can cause any number of issue which relate to proper functioning of the system...since all the files used by the system reside on the hard drive.

The key is the BIOS...there is nothing in the system/on the hard drive...which can affect the BIOS...other than a failing CMOS battery or a damaged BIOS.

You can try running the diagnostic for the hard drive again...but it doesn't even depend on the system to work properly.

As for STOP errors...they are the system's cries for help, attempts to let users know that something is not right. http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm.

0x0000007A: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
A page of kernel data was not found in the pagefile and could not be read into memory. This might be due to incompatible disk or controller drivers, firmware, or hardware.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users