Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

possible bad harddrive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 aegean

aegean

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:14 PM

I think I'm losing my harddrive. Started just the other day, Real slow start-up just getting to log-in. after that not so bad.

today I tried running eraser to clean up the unused areas, temporary files and temp internet files. Manually deleted most of temp internet. I tried to load a new version of eraser and cannot get to "add or remove programs" on the control panel. Also the light that represents the harddrive next to the power light just below the screen does not stay lighted.

I am erasing my extrernal harddrive so that I can back-up whatever I can. (last back-up includes a virus. I hadn't backed up since cleaning.)

Any ideas please let me know

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 12 October 2009 - 04:05 PM

Go to the hard drive manufacturer's website...download a diagnostic and run it on the drive, folloiwng instructions provided...after you move your data.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

#3 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 13 October 2009 - 05:48 PM

I really hate to contradict; but, really have a problem with the pervasive "knowledgebase" answers which are technically wrong....

The first rule of data recovery (fixing a bad hard drive ) is to STOP WRITING on it so we want a diagnostic which will confirm our suspicion. Any operation which writes reduces our chances of recovery. http://www.hdtune.com has a noinstall, zipped version of their free HDTune utility. Plunk it on a flash drive (preferably on another computer), unzip it, run it on the suspect system, then check the Health tab before doing an error scan. Reallocated Sectors (Health tab ) or more than two red boxes in the error scan identify the drive as failing.

Get another drive to replace the failing one. (Must be more sectors than the original; but, not more than 128GB if the original is smaller or it won't boot when you're done!)
then get Roadkill's Rawcopy ( http://www.roadkil.net/program.php?ProgramID=22 ).
Unplug your CD, plug the cables into the new drive, use Rawcopy to copy the drive, switch the new drive where the old one was physically, plug the CD back in, and voila; the bad drive has ben replaced and problem solved.....

Rawcopy WILL continue after any "bad sectors" and replacing the failng hard drive solves that problem, too
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:53 PM

Contradiction...is the way of the universe, I can live with that :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users