Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Blue Screen Errors

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 graceofnashville

graceofnashville

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:29 PM

I have (on again, off again) received blue screen error messages that go something like this:

'' A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. A process or thread crucial to system operation unexpectedly exited or has been terminated."...

I disconnected the floppy drive a few months ago and it seemed to fix this problem, until of course, today.

On start up it was asking for a boot disk and so...

I disconnected all of my USB ports on the front, along with the card reader and it did turn the system back on.

I received a message that the system recovered from a major error and received these codes:

Error Signature:

BCCode: f4 BCP1: 00000003 BCP2: 89FE0DA0 BCP3: 89FE0F14
BCP4: 805D297C OSVer: 5_1_2600 SP: 3_0 Product: 256_1

Any suggestions on what might be causing the problem?

Thanks for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:19 PM

If you can, try to run a virus scan in Safe Mode. Also, is there any USB or Memory Cards PLUGGED IN? That might be the problem. Else, if non of these work, my only suggestion then is to do a "Wipe and Reload." Meaing nuke your HDD, and reinstall Windows.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:51 PM

<<On start up it was asking for a boot disk and so...>>

You mean...the system would not boot normally and an error message suggested a boot disk?

What was the exact error message, please?

Louis

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:26 PM

What they said, plus...

Your information is from the Event Viewer which is helpful, but there is a more efficient method to post events:

To see the Event Viewer logs, click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer.

A shortcut to Event Viewer is to click Start, Run and in the box enter:

%SystemRoot%\system32\eventvwr.msc /s

Click OK to launch the Event Viewer.

The most interesting logs are usually the Application and System. Some logs may be almost or completely empty.
Not every event it a problem, some are informational messages that things are working okay.

Each event is sorted by Date and Time. Errors will have red Xs, Warnings will have yellow !s.
Information messages have white is. Not every Error or Warning event means there is a serious issue.
Some errors are excusable at startup time when Windows is booting.

If you double click an event, it will open a Properties windows with more information. On the right are
black up and down arrow buttons to scroll through the open events. The third button that looks like two
pages on top of each other is used to copy the event details to your Windows clipboard.

When you find an interesting event that occurred around the time of your issue, click the third button
under the up and down arrows to copy the details and then you can paste the details (right click, Paste
or CTRL-V) the detail text back here for analysis.

To get a fresh start on any Event Viewer log, you can shoose to clear the log (backing up the log is offered),
then reproduce your issue, then look at just the events around the time of your issue.

On to your BSOD:

Have any hardware oriented changes been made to the system since it worked? RAM, video card,
storage (hard disks, USB devices), hardware drivers?

Reduce the number of questions, guessing and trying things that might work maybe by supplying more information:

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste
back here.

There would be some personal information (like System Name and User Name) or whatever appears to
be only your business that you can delete from the paste.

Disable Automatic restart on system error to stop the error on your screen so you can see it:

Right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Startup and Recovery Settings.

In the System failure section, untick the Automatically restart box, OK, OK.

Here are some BSOD blue screen of death examples showing information you need to provide:

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/images/Windows_XP_BSOD.png
http://techrepublic.com.com/i/tr/downloads/images/bsod_a.jpg

Send the information pointed to with the red arrows (about 3 or 4 lines total). Skip
the boring text unless it looks important to you. We know what a BSOD looks
like, we need to know the other information that is specific to your BSOD.

If you can only boot in Safe Mode, to see the BSOD screen, choose the option:

Disable automatic restart on system failure

Reduce the chances of malicious software by running some scans.

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

These can be uninstalled later if desired.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 graceofnashville

graceofnashville
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:09 PM

It was a black screen asking for a correct boot disc and another screen gave a hard disc error.

Event Log (error)

Event Type: Error
Event Source: System Error
Event Category: (102)
Event ID: 1003
Date: 10/12/2009
Time: 1:49:58 PM
User: N/A
Computer: OWNER-76BCCCEEE
Description:
Error code 000000f4, parameter1 00000003, parameter2 89fe0da0, parameter3 89fe0f14, parameter4 805d297c.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 74737953 45206d65 726f7272 72452020
0010: 20726f72 65646f63 30303020 66303030
0020: 50202034 6d617261 72657465 30302073
0030: 30303030 202c3330 65663938 30616430
0040: 3938202c 66306566 202c3431 64353038
0050: 63373932

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name OW*******
System Manufacturer System manufacturer
System Model System Product Name
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11 GenuineIntel ~2400 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 1236, 7/15/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name O**********
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.18 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 3.85 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

The blue screen stopped and the computer is working for right now... so I can't capture the blue screen.

Thanks for the help

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:33 PM

Good job.

I have no idea what your asking for correct boot disk thing is - please try to get the exact message, etc.

One thing curious to me is your information refers to Boot Device as:

\Device\HarddiskVolume2

I don't have much availability here , but always see it as Volume1 (I think)... I don't get that unless you have 2 HDDs and XP is installed on HDD2, then that could be significant in my ideas - has it always been that way?

How many volumes/HDDs do you have installed, has anything changed in your area of storage? Hard disks, etc.? New memory modules? C drive only or C &D drive?

See what the malware scans reveal, please.

I think your other events will have this similarity, yes?

Error code 000000f4, parameter1 00000003...

I suspect a hardware problem or pagefile problem with the BSOD, so I hope others will help me with my suggestions which are not threatening to your data:

1. Run a chkdsk /r http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

2. Delete the pagefile(s) and recreate anew (need to know your HDD situation, I will make/find instructions if needed) Pagefile.sys says it is on C though.

I would like to do 1 & 2 from Recovery Console - easier. You can make a CD if RC is not installed as a boot option.

3. Power off, unplug, reseat RAM if possible (can't tell the HW manufacturer - desktop?)

3. Create a bootable CD and run memtest86+ http://www.memtest.org/

Any other idee-ers? We can look at minidumps, but I think they will say HW, too complicated right now, and the above tests should be done anyway.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:27 AM

Actually, the "volumes" indicate the partitions, not the hard drives.

My boot drive on this system is Disk2, because my BIOS moves SATA drives ahead in the order...my Disk Management reflects my two SATA drives ahead of the IDE drive I use as a boot/system drive.

I also see that my msinf032 data reflects my boot device as Volume 6. This corresponds to the 5 partitions I have on my two SATA drives. with my boot volume then being #6 in the way that the system summarizes this..

I'm curious to know what is on the first partition on that drive. You can use Disk Management to take a look at it.

Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter. Tell us the entire size of each partition on each hard drive, please.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users