Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

setting up a outdoor wireless antenna

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 eboknight

eboknight

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:20 PM

I want to set up a wireless antenna out side probably on my roof and run the signal to my pc in the basement. I would like to use a wireless pci card and use rg6 coaxial cable to connect to the outdoor antenna. I am not sure if this is possible, if there are adapters available or if I could make my own. I worked for directv for years and I plan on mounting the antenna to a dish to help bring in signal. I know I could use a usb wireless antenna and lengthen the usb cable with phone line, but I think using a pci card and rg6 cable would be a better set up if it is possible.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:47 PM

What signal are you planning on picking up.

If it is not one you have legally purchased from an ISP then this Forum can not provide you with any assistance in the matter.

#3 eboknight

eboknight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:21 AM

I am trying to pull signal from my aunts house next door with her permission. When I lived in town I had a couple friends that shared wireless signal, I did not, I had dsl and no wireless card. Now that I moved to the country ( my parents basement for the time being, after seperating from my wife ) there is no dsl no cable only satalite or dialup.
If any one has a alternative idea let me know. I just need something for the time I am going to be here ( hopefully not for long ).

Thanks

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:01 PM

There are several ways that this can be done.

A quick\cheap solution since your situation is temporary is a Cantenna. I have a friend in a similar situation that use`s one. Work`s well and he loves it.

I will assume your Aunt already has a wireless router or WAP.

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2009 - 05:33 PM

you posted the same question here

Make this hehe

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 eboknight

eboknight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:14 AM

Thank you for the feed back. I am wondering would a usb type setup or a cantenna type setup work better. I need to set the unit up outside because I have no clear line of sight from inside the house. The problem I have with the cantenna setup ( which I would probably make my own ) is getting or making a cable long enough to run to my pc, the run is probably 30 plus feet. Is there any way to modify a cable that is used for a cantenna using rg6 coaxial cable to make it longer. I would just hack one into and see but I have not found a place to pick one up for cheep and right now there is more month at the end of the money if you know what I mean.

Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users