Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

when i connect the pen drive to my pc a window of H: drive is getting opened automatically

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 abcd_1

abcd_1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:59 AM

Hi,

I am using 2GB transcend pen drive with windows xp sp 2.

Because it is an externally connected device, it is recognized as H: drive .

My problem is when i connect the pen drive to my pc a window of H: drive is getting opened automatically.This makes me fear if my pen drive has contacted any virus because, i would like it to open only when i double click on H: drive in MY COMPUTER.
I scanned using ESETNOD32 antivirus and it doesnt diagnose any virus.

Now i deleted all the contents from the pendrive and formatted it as well.. still the problem is persisting.

Please let me know what i should be doing so that the H:drive opens only when i double click on it.

Thanks in anticipation.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:05 PM

This should help.

Edited by ThunderZ, 12 October 2009 - 01:05 PM.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:22 PM

Hold down the shift key when inserting the pen drive
Better yet:

Download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.

Edited by garmanma, 12 October 2009 - 03:25 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 abcd_1

abcd_1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:40 PM

Thank you all for the help friends.

You are excellent.

Thanks again.