Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Professional and Networking

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 meppwc

meppwc

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:19 AM

Has anyone ever run into issues with slow internet response, PC dropping access to the internet but then it mysterically coming back ?

And to add to this, are they attempting to hit the internet using their wireless connection while at the same time having a network cable attaching the same PC to their wireless router? (simultaneous wireless and wired connection of the same PC on one router)

I am just curious if anyone sees where having this setup could cause conflict problems. I ASSUME that it could be a problem, but I am interested if anyone knows for a fact that this setup is/can be a problem.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:01 PM

Haven't done this with wireless router but I connected my router through USB cable and Cat5 LAN cable both. General behavior was USB port used to disconnect after 30-40 minutes (USB port was malfunctioning) and I had no internet connection even with LAN cable attached. When I removed USB cable and LAN cable both and reattached only LAN it started again.

I have no idea why I was doing that :thumbsup: but you should give only one path to internet at one time.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:43 PM

Wired and wireless can be connected at the same time. XP defaults to the wireless. At least it has in a couple of instances I have seen this set-up.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,243 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:36 PM

One of the problems with devices where the user can connect either via USB or by ethernet...is a possible driver conflict. I've seen routers that advise removing the drivers for the USB connection before using the othe set of drivers for ethernet. And I've seen routers that don't advocate such.

The wired vs wireless connection should not have that incompatibility possibility, IMO.

Louis

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:39 AM

They shouldn't conflict with each other. But the real question is why do you want or have both connected? It defaults to one or the other both are not active at the same time.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users