Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows xp operating sytem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TitoMaite

TitoMaite

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:07 AM

please help. when booting, black screen shows with this prompt error

WINDOWS COULD NOT START BECAUSE THE FOLLOWING FILE IS MISSING OR CORRUPT:

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:24 AM

Um... you are missing a CORE Windows File needed for the entire Operating System to work. you should be happy it still tells you that. I would recomend a FULL wipe and reload with DBAN and your XP CD. DBAN can be found at: http://www.dban.org/ and You should have your XP CD, or A XP CD to use.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:38 AM

Take a look, Corrupted Registry, Config.sys Missing or Corrupt - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Louis

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,825 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:20 PM

Hi TitoMaite, I have tried to help you in the IRC.

Take a look at the link Louis provided you with.

You can try to fix your problem as described there.

But for that you need to boot in the Recovery Console (thats why we created that CD).
Since your Harddisk is obviously working, it might be trial/error, try a few times to boot into the Recovery Console and see if you get lucky.

Most likely your problem is caused because you cloned your old harddrive on a new hardrive while the drivers for the old one are still there. This might cause conflicts, resulting in your system not being able to boot.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#5 TitoMaite

TitoMaite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 12 October 2009 - 04:05 PM

Take a look, Corrupted Registry, Config.sys Missing or Corrupt - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Louis

EULA is tagged at the bottom of my laptop, would it be possible to get a copy of Windows XP Home Edition 2005 so I can continue with recovery?

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 12 October 2009 - 04:18 PM

When I got that message a while back I was able to use a rescue disk (boot disk) from the Fix-It-Utilities 9 disk to go in and use System Restore to restore my computer to a previous date and that fixed it like nothing had ever been wrong wtih the computer.

All I had to do was put in that disk, start the computer, and select use System Restore. It let me choose a restore point and in a very short amount of time, all was well.

I bought the disk for about 30 bucks at Walmart and it comes with a bunch of other utilities as well as one year of virus protection

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,825 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:03 AM

TitoMaite, did you look at those instructions in the link?

If you are able to boot in the Recovery Console, you will not need to have that XP disk.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#8 gully786

gully786

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:40 AM

I had this problem as well luckily i have PC ANGEL to use for recovery at start up and i was able to back up all my files before the clean and re install,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users