Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Today's Courts

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 29 July 2005 - 01:32 PM

We've all seen or heard about some pretty stupid and rediculous court cases, and wonder why are they even wasting the money? Its because they can, they have the money to waste.

However, if you haven't noticed, and niether have I, the Candid Camera is getting sued for a joke they did on a guy at an airport. And the guy that is getting sued said he is sueing because of his thigh and his pride were hurt. Well boo-hoo, its a joke get over it. I mean I can see if he was seriously injured, but this guy can still walk.

My point is, when will people stop sueing just for the hell of it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 willhippy

willhippy

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 30 July 2005 - 06:58 AM

When the courts stop giving ridiculous amounts for stupid things :thumbsup:

#3 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2005 - 07:23 AM

Yes and the people who have a legitimate case get a bad rap for sueing someone.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2005 - 10:19 AM

When our legislators write better laws.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 dpb510

dpb510

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2005 - 01:19 AM

Has any one served on a jury? Since we're dealing with humans, you get all that this entails. Most folks just want to get on with the proceedings. Many follow the leader and are swayed first by the prosecution, then back with the defense.
And to make it worse, folks don't know their own rights as jurist.

We're told that we must judge wither the person on trail broke this particulate law. The fathers of our country gave us several ways to protect ourselves from tyranny. With the last resort being setting on the jury.
This is one of the responsibilities of being a citizen of the US. When congress enacts stupid and harmful laws we are able to nullify these through the jury. When there's a terrible law, all we have to do is find the person, "NOT GUILTY", easy huh?

Here's a link to clarify: http://www.levellers.org/jrp/orig/jrp.history.htm

#6 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2005 - 10:23 AM

Dpb510 your right about how most cases aren't fair, but what about the stupid cases that people bring to the courts

#7 dpb510

dpb510

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2005 - 01:40 AM

yanowhiz: the powers that be (hence to be know as 'they/them'), want you, I, and every one else to think that there are to many frivolous law suits for their own selfish reasons.

Remember, 'they' own, sleep with, manipulate, bully, lie to, and/or buy, the media. The media sells the idea, to you and I, that law suits are out of control. That way it's the people (not 'them') who complain to our Representatives to change the laws.
Congress passes laws that state, you and I can only sue, after a review board OKs the law suit, and we can only receive a set amount (usually very small)of money.
This is going on right now in this country!

Here's the interesting part. When you begin digging deeper, you'll find that most of the expensive frivolous law suits are brought about by, you guess it, 'them'.

There's thousands of these cases, but the following is one of my favorites. Especially considering who is bring the suit.

Fox News sued Al Franken for using the term "Fair and Balanced" on his book cover. Calling the motion "wholly without merit, both factually and legally," the judge, Denny Chin of United States District Court threw out the case. Judge Chin said the case was an easy one, and chided Fox for bringing its complaint to court. The judge said, "Of course, it is ironic that a media company that should be fighting for the First Amendment is trying to undermine it." New York Times, 8/23/02

Here's a great site. Notice the authors!
http://www.atla.org/pressroom/FACTS/frivolous/frivolous.aspx

And under FACTS, make sure to check, Truth About Make-Believe Legal Costs.

........dpb.......

#8 Globe Roamer Jeff

Globe Roamer Jeff

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 11 March 2007 - 02:41 AM

:thumbsup:

The insignia over the door at most any Court House includes the word justice. Unfortunately justice is not what is used in making determinations to settle outcomes. Legal Procedure rules that world and should never be confused with justice. The Law ain't necessarily just at all.

GRG

#9 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 11 March 2007 - 02:51 AM

When our legislators write better laws.

When people quit re-electing the same idiots that change or make dumb laws.

Has any one served on a jury?

I was foreman on a traffic case once, we let the guy off even tho we KNEW he was guilty. The Judge said beyond a reasonable doubt and the prosecution only had "my word against his" stuff. That does not prove anything.

I've seen people put on trial when they had no evidence against them and wondered "Why?" Of course they got off, and when they get off, you can't try them again. Waste of tax payer money.... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#10 GrouchoMarx

GrouchoMarx

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 11 March 2007 - 07:47 AM

sueing is essentially an american illness...

why an individual should possibly receive huge amounts of money... is beyond me....

surely the amount of money sued for has to be based on the cost/size of injury....

... to sue for personal gain... that is as dispicable as rape...
(and most lawsuits are filed for personal gain and not justice....!)
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

#11 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2007 - 08:17 AM

When people are forced to wear "I am stupid" hats after they sue for a stupid reason ha ha.

We need better laws and ones on our side. Money does not come out of thin air and it can RUIN peoples lives because your greedy.

#12 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 15 March 2007 - 11:53 AM

Thought I'd share this one ...

"Ludicrous. Outrageous. An example of litigation run amok." Those are some of the nicer things that have been said about the class-action lawsuit seeking to hold McDonald's liable for obesity".

At first, I thought how wonderful that common sense won out when reading "So it's little surprise that the Jan. 22 decision by a federal judge in New York to dismiss the suit was largely greeted as a victory for common sense." ... but then read that the judge didn't throw the suit out entirely, rather he said, "that the plaintiffs might just be able get over the legal hurdles in two ways. ...

"First, the plaintiffs could potentially get before a jury if they can credibly allege that the heavily processed food served by McDonald's is significantly more fattening than a burger you might fry up in your kitchen. But the plaintiffs would also have to show that, if this is the case, McDonald's knew that its McMenu was more dangerous and concealed it from the public. And the plaintiffs would also have to show that any deception caused unsuspecting gluttons to eat more than they otherwise would have.

A second theory that has some possible viability concerns addiction. The New York plaintiffs broadly alleged that the fast food served at McDonald's has an addictive quality (like cigarettes) but didn't provide any specifics. The judge said that if the plaintiffs could come up with something concrete to back up this claim - and show that McDonald's did something sinister by producing "addictive" products - they might have something. ".

Source: http://www.lawyersusaonline.com/mcdonalds.cfm

I'm endlessly stunned at what people will sue over - and even more endlessly stunned that the justice system gives them any credence at all.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#13 nmdamgud

nmdamgud

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2007 - 06:46 PM

there are two sides to this "court" thing. there are the people the government charge with crimes...and people who sue for "damages".

right now we are dealing with the state district attorney on a crime they allege my daughter commited. on october 1, 2006, she had an accident. she rolled her car 3 times with her baby in the back seat, safely strapped into a carseat. fortunately, neither was badly hurt. the baby suffered a scratch on the back of her thigh (i took care of her at the hospital), probably while being extricated from the car. my daughter was a bit worse off, but is fine now.

2 weeks ago, we got notice from the district attorneys office that they were taking our daughters case before the grand jury, charging her with drunken driving, reckless driving, and child abuse (child endangerment). they obtained our daughters' blood at the hospital w/o permission, and w/o a warrant, which is needed in this state (however, I have the results of her blood test which were performed by the hospital; she was NOT legally drunk).

here's the thing: our attorney can NOT do "discovery" until after the grand jury hearing, thus proving there was no warrant issued, no permission obtained, and therefore NO evidence. they have nothing to go on here (not to mention they have violated her civil rights). however, we must wait until after the grand jury hearing to prove this. it is costing US almost $4,000.00 to have this case thrown out....anyone care to estimate what it's costing the taxpayers???

as to people filing for "damages"...it is people just like us, just like you and i, who have created this sensation (with alot of help from lawyers, granted!). suits have gone to court, and juries have said, "hey...it's just the insurance company, they have big bucks, why not give some to the little guy and score a victory for all of us!"...fools. the insurance companies didn't pay. WE did. WE the people. you and i. insurance rates of every kind have gotten completely out of control, be it auto, liability, workman's comp, or any other. what i paid for auto insurance as a single kid with an accident on my record is about 1/100th of what i pay now, as a married adult with a clean driving record. a dr's visit has quadrupled. the "victory" those juries scored, and continue to award, are hurting no one but ourselves.

these lawsuits have also changed our society: we are blameless. it isn't our fault we took our kids to mcdonald's 5 times a week, or got behind the wheel of a car drunk, or dove into the shallow end of a swimming pool! it MUST be someone else's!!! sad thing is, juries have agreed, we are no longer responsible for our actions.

the only ones getting rich off these "victories" are the lawyers.

#14 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 15 March 2007 - 06:52 PM

Stronger laws is what the world needs! :thumbsup: People need to start working harder for there money rather than just sueing someone because got hit by your parked car ?! :flowers:
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#15 nmdamgud

nmdamgud

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:35 AM

ever hear the one about a couple of our lawyers who went on a trip to to russia? they met with a few russian lawyers and were having a few vodkas together. "the usa is a GREAT place to practice law! just find a client who has fallen in a major dept store in, say, new york city, sue the department store for 10 million dollars, and you get an easy third!!" the russian lawyers said, "man! we've GOT to go to the usa!" the american lawyers said, "so you, too can sue rich companies??" the russian lawyers replied.......

"heck, no, so WE can fall in a department store!!" :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users