Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dsl connection drop from 6pm to 11-12pm

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 aqua1

aqua1

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:04 PM

hi guys i have a question,i have verizon dsl 3.0/768 plan,live in queens new york.
i call phone support,but those techs don't know what to do..i may get infected or spyware,rootkit,etc.
dsl drops connection between 6pm-11,12pm for last 5 days i have winxp pro/sp3 768 rdram dell machine. i have wireless off..i have westell versalink 327W A90-327W15-06 firmware updated,,windows updated.
speed test from 2wire.com Speed Meter

Your current bandwidth reading is
113.60kbps

from speedtest

Posted Image

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision: 7.2.3.0
Vendor ID Code: 4
Line Mode: G.DMT Mode
Data Path: Interleaved

Transceiver Information Downstream Path Upstream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3360 864
Margin (dB) 16.0 10.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 39.5 28.0
Transmit Power (dBm) 14.1 11.8

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bigloww

Bigloww

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:12 PM

Not saying our issues are the same but it sounds in the ball park....

I had 3mbps SBC DSL for a few years (now 6mbps) and rarely had any issues. About a year ago I noticed an issue with the e-net slowing down quite a bit around sun down every night. It started to get worse to almost a crawl. Trying to put 2 and 2 together I was thinking something EMC with lights, or someting. So I placed the modem in another room far away and the same. I made sure every electronic device was off and shut down breakers in most of the house and ran an extension cord from another room. Same stuff. Even ran an extension cord from my niebors house.... :thumbsup: I called SBC and they tested the line during the issues. The only problem was they would only send a tech during normal buisness hours when everything was fine. I kept telling them the issue only stated when the sun started going down (at the time that was around 7:30-8:00). Well this was after normal buisness hours and they would not send a tech at that time. They would keep sending a tech during the day when everything was fine. Longish story short, I finally got a cool tech that believed me and left his tracing gear with me over night and proved my point. He could not figure out why. He gave me a replacement wireless router/modem to try and after I switched it out, problem solved... Again, not saying that is your issues but wanted to share. I asked the guy to taked my modem and send it to the manufactures developemnt team for analysis since it was such a rare issue. He laughed and said it would be a waste of time but would give it a go. Never heard back.

#3 aqua1

aqua1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:30 PM

well thanks for reply.i have this service from 2004,,and verizon now is poor rated,even fios people complain.
i called at the time i specified...they saw i was telling the thruth.last tech promised to send me a tech to check the lines.nobody showed up.
iand i'm not the only one with this problem in my area.in fact this router was change 2 times the very first year.

#4 Bigloww

Bigloww

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:55 PM

If other people are experiencing the same issue in your area, it sounds like a like a CO, hub or line issue outside the house. They should be able to isolate from what point the issue is coming from and fix it. Is it just people in your imediate hood or a bit more wide spread? Either way, Verizon should be all over it if many people are complaining, even if it is after hours. Do you notice a bunch of static on your phone line during these times as well?

#5 aqua1

aqua1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:57 AM

there is not static when using the phone.,as far as i know verizon was laid-off a lot of people..maybe techs too.
or they just wan to push us to buy fios,,but i won't. peiod.

i also read in the time warner roadrunner forum,people having the same issue.

#6 MD55

MD55

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:50 PM

Hi,

Have had same issue in PA with Verizon DSL, starting in June 09. I actually had different problem first with static in phone line that started in April. I could not make calls out but people could call in and internet was not affected. This lasted about a month until technician came and repaired in May but still had a little static on the line. Then toward the end of June I noticed that my internet would disconnect starting around 11 pm and lasting till 6 pm in the morning. Kept having to reset router and fiddle to get connection and it wouldn't last. Called and no help said they checked lines and they were okay. Of course, tech couldn't come when it was happening just like in your scenario and they would not send out a separate technician to actually check the lines coming into the house. Checking was done at headquarters. It got progressively worse with issue occuring earlier and lasting a little later in the morning. Tech support said it was probably due to a drop in bandwidth but that didn't make sense as I had DSL since 2004 and didn't have issue. Also mentioned that it could be due to alarm system which can interfere with transmission. Moved everything away from other electricals, changed jacks and removed alarm system to no avail. Also started to notice that the only way I could connect was to turn on my phone and dsl would connect as long as phone stayed on. Then disconnect when phone turned off. If I kept fiddling and turning phone off and on, I could manage usually to get a connection that would last for a half an hour or so. Got so that I couldn't establish a stable connection starting from around 7 pm till 8 pm in the morning and intermittent connection during day. Finally got technicians, both phone and then IT to check out lines inside and out at the end of October. Phone came first and did something with lines and I was able to get connected but he said that check revealed a bad modem. Then Internet tech came and checked at box and said I had a half ringer which he changed and homerunned DSL onto separate wiring. This fixed most of the problem but modem was still bad and they sent new one. Have not had any major issues since except new Westell 6100 g router won't allow Belkin g wireless to connect. Then this week when they interrupted my service, phone got static and intermingled took nearly a day to reestablish connection. I think they have a lot of aging lines and equipment that need fixed as well as their customer service.

#7 azfreetech

azfreetech

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:32 PM

Have any of you tried running a tracert? This will better allow you to see where the break down in communication over the network is. I used to work for 2Wire and their tools SUCK as far as diagnosing problems!
DJ Digital Gem

I gave up on computers and now I just DJ!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users