Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VAIO Laptop Won't Start

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 coralium

coralium

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 11 October 2009 - 07:57 PM

Hi,
I bought a Sony VAIO laptop (VGN-FZ340E) a year and a half ago. About a week ago, when I turned on the computer, it didn't start. The battery was fully charged, and it was plugged in. The computer was on, and I could hear the fan for the cpu. However, the display remained black. It didn't light up at all. I plugged in a monitor, but it didn't work. The little lights along the front side (battery, wifi, etc.) were all on, except the light for the hard drive, which turned on when I first turned it on but immediately turned off. I took apart the laptop, took out everything, cleaned the inside, and put it back together. The laptop worked, but only for a few days. While using the laptop a few days ago, the screen had a sudden flash of random colors and static, and then continued to work normally. I left the computer on for around an hour, and when I returned, the computer was on, but the screen did not display anything, and it was quieter than usual. I shut off the computer, and turned it back on, but it had the same problems I had earlier. I took it apart and put it back together again, but it didn't help. I have no idea what to do now. Please help. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:48 AM

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT

Cross your fingers and hope it is still under warranty. Sony might have extended the warranty to cover a motherboard replacement on this model. Contact them and see.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 coralium

coralium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:00 PM

Thank you for your help. I looked on Sony's site, and found this: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/news-item...amp;news_id=349.

In July 2008, NVIDIA announced that some notebook computers with NVIDIA graphic processors manufactured with a certain material set were failing in the field at a higher than normal rate. Since that announcement, Sony, in cooperation with NVIDIA, has been looking into any possible effect to VAIOŽ notebooks with NVIDIA graphic processors. Until recently we had not identified any VAIO models that were affected by this issue.

However, after closely monitoring the situation, Sony has now determined that a very small percentage of VAIO computers with the NVIDIA graphics chips may experience this issue. These PCs may exhibit distorted video, duplicate images or a blank screen due to a failure of the NVIDIA graphics chip.

Applicable Models
This issue only applies to the versions of these VAIOŽ computer models that came with a NVIDIAŽ graphics chip:

* VGN-AR1xx, VGN-AR2xx, VGN-AR3xx
* VGN-FZ1xx, VGN-FZ2xx, VGN-FZ3xx, VGN-FZ4xx
* VGC-LT1xx, VGC-LT2xx

Resolution
As a part of our commitment to quality, for any customer who requires repair of their VAIO computer due to the NVIDIA graphics processor issue, Sony will cover the cost of repair (parts and labor) at no charge and, in addition to the standard limited 12 month warranty, Sony will provide a three year warranty extension for the NVIDIA graphics chip.

* If you are currently experiencing this issue, please contact us at 1-888-868-7402 to set up a repair service at our Sony repair facility.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users