Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling windows xp pro upgraded from 98

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 j54ams

j54ams

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 11 October 2009 - 02:45 PM

I have a custom built computer (10 years ago) from a factory no longer in business. It came with Windows 98 originally and has been upgraded to XP Pro. I had also upgraded hard drive and motherboard. (Intel D815EEA2) Memory also has been upgraded to the motherboard maximum of 512. I would like to do a clean install of XP Pro. Can i use the upgrade disc to accomplish this? Or, do i need a full version disc? I have access to the full version and if i do need to use this, can I use my legal license key from the upgrade disc? I have read some articles saying i need proof of a legal previous operating system. What should I do to be able to reinstall? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 11 October 2009 - 03:54 PM

Your options, as I see it:

a. You can use the upgrade disk, as long as you know that it's going to ask you for proof of the right to use the upgrade version. Such "proof" either consists of having the upgradeable version of Windows installed...or having the CD by which such version was installed. The upgrade disk will accept either as proof of the right to use/install an upgrade version.

b. If you have access to a full version disk and a valid key to clean install the upgrade version...you should be OK if you combine both to attempt install. The setup/install files for the upgrade version are slightly different from those of the full install CD (in that they ask for validation of right to install those files), but the license for an upgrade version of XP is a license without any baggage. As long as you are using a legal CD that is not an upgrade CD, I see no reason there should be problems.

XP Clean Install, Stevens - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

I'd appreciate if if you post links to these articles you believe state otherwise.

Louis

#3 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:28 PM

So, I assume I can just put the full version disc in and proceed with installation? Just put in the license key from my legal upgrade? Or, do i need to wipe the hard drive first? I have been contemplating this for quite awhile and don't remember where I read what! I REALLY hope I don't have to start with my Windows 98 disc!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:54 AM

Well, I cannot say for sure...I've never owned any upgrade XP disks.

All I can try to do is proceed logically.

No other XP install CD asks for proof of a prior existing version...ergo, the key is not to use that particular disk, IMO.

In my eyes, a license is a license. The upgrade license has no particular mechanism in it that indicates otherwise, AFAIK.

<<Or, do i need to wipe the hard drive first?>>

If you mean...do you need to delete the existing install...before beginning a clean install...of course you do. A clean install is one where previous installation of XP is no more.

If you have your Windows 98 disk...I really don't know why you are making a big deal of this. A clean install can be accomplished with an upgrade version if the user owner has the CD. Back in the days of Win 98, I believe that everyone was given a Win 98 CD.

Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

Louis

#5 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:29 AM

I used the full version disc with my upgrade license and all went well.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:33 AM

Feedback appreciated...glad you resolved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users