Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do i need a new wireless adaptor?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mincey101

mincey101

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 11 October 2009 - 02:15 PM

Hey

So ive had wireless broadband set up for the past 2 and a half years. Ive always used a Netgear wireless adaptor. The first one lasted about a year, then it just wouldnt work anymore.

I therefore went and bought a replacement, the exact same Netgear wireless adaptor. Now ive had it for the past 18 months (approx). Maybe two months ago it started playing up. I would plug it into the usual USB slot but my PC wouldnt pick it up. The light on the adaptor wasnt on. So i removed it and squeezed the adaptor then put it back in and this time it worked. This process would be repeated now and then, but it generally works fine. However, during the last 3 weeks ive had an unstable internet connection even when the adaptor appears to be working fine. I can connect to the internet, be connected for ages, then it just wont connect to a page all of a sudden. If you refresh the page a few times, eventually the page comes up. But its totally random whether or not it works. Sometimes it will load a page but not load the pics on it.

I emailed my service provider. They suggested i reset my wireless box, so i did this and nothing changed. I rang them. They changed my wireless channel to a less busy channel. This again had no effect on my connection. My quesion to you guys is this: Do i need another new wireless adaptor?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Skydie

Skydie

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:47 AM

Kinda off topic but when you installed the adapter did the region select option come up automatically? For me it just doesn't come up and I can't properly install my adapter :thumbsup:

#3 mincey101

mincey101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:47 PM

It was temperamental. I reinstalled it a few times, and sometimes nothing appeared. I just took it out and tried again. It usually came up the 2nd time of asking automatically.

#4 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 02:46 PM

Maybe the problem is with the USB port itself. It sounds like the port needs to be cleaned. Try a lint free cloth with a few drops of rubbing alchohol on it. I'm no computer expert by any stretch of the imagination but my years as a radio hobbiest taught me a few things about electronics.
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users