Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot load any OS, even from dvd

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 wilke41

wilke41

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 10 October 2009 - 11:14 PM

i just picked up a dfi lanparty UT nf4 dr expert mobo... transferred over memory and processor from other computer i was runnin, hard drive too. i cant get it to boot an os of any type, but dos from a floppy to update the firmware..... 32bit, 64bit, xp, vista, win7, nothin will go past the kernel and maybe a couple drivers in safe mode. always a restart or freeze... even when booting from win7 dvd it freezes after loading files and says laoding windows... no loading graphic ever shows either. ive read this mobo is picky, but this has started to get ridiculous. im runnin an athlon x2 4400+ with 2gb OCZ ram. sata hd and a geforce gts250 vid card, also a 600w BFG psu. ive checked and triple checked every connection, the only thing that makes me wonder is that in the manual for the mobo it labels a 4pin connection next to the frist pcie slot as a power connection for the pcie slot. on my mobo its labeld as a fan plug, either way with or without power its made no difference though. did i just make a bad choice on mix and match components? never had this much trouble on a new build, never used a motherboard like this one either. if anyone has any suggestions im all ears :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wilke41

wilke41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2009 - 01:37 PM

hi everyone! i just bought a DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Dr Expert motherboard to complement my X2 4400+ and my 2gb OCZ DDR400 ram. never overclocked before just dove on in. i read the motherboard was picky so i expected issues off the bat. after some bios play i got it recognizing my Liteon DVD burner and my 120gb Western Digital SATA hard drive, my ram in dual channel and booting from floppy to update the bios. after updating everyhting was fine and all my settings were carried over to the new bios. everytime i boot from my windows 7 dvd or my windows 7 hard drive it locks after loading a couple drivers and trying to load windows. i have tried safe mode and watched the drivers load. it loads more under safe mode and less under safe mode with networking. at first i was getting the digital signature error from windows and it prompted for a repair from the dvd. i cannot boot from the dvd past the intial loading screen, when it goes to "loading windows" i get no logo and it just hangs. also my XP home standby wont load past a certain point in its loader either. any help would be greatly appreciated cuz im itchin to get going with this! thanks alot !!!

EDIT: You only need one topic~MG

Edited by garmanma, 11 October 2009 - 02:47 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 11 October 2009 - 04:23 PM

Well...you should expect problems, rather than be surprised by such.

You've changed the motherboard.

Changing a Motherboard or Moving Hard Drive - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Louis

#4 wilke41

wilke41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:54 AM

um.... yeah like i said i expected problems... like i said im running windows 7 64bit, the os type isnt relevant though. i cant fully load even the bootable dvd or cd for any version windows i own. i havent tried my SuSe 7.1 or Snow Leopard install dvd yet but i am expecting the same result. i keep one hard drive full of my personals, the other with my os. ive been doing that for a long time to keep my os disposable so i can experiment as much as i want.

#5 wilke41

wilke41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:03 AM

and you know, after sittin back and "thinkin about it" i just surmised that maybe this could be a problem with my ram config overall. it freezes when things are being loaded by the bootloader into memory.... my ocz ram says 2-3-2 @ 2.8v if that helps.

#6 wilke41

wilke41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2009 - 04:16 AM

so i changed out the ram to 2gb samsung ram i have, it wont fully post with the ram in dual channel, but it will boot the dvd with the ram in single channel..... its still freezing before the first menu comes up though.... does that narrow me down to the ram config

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:01 AM

If I suspected RAM situations...I'd run Memtest86+ on the system, testing different configurations.

General guidance for testing methodology: HCI MemTest Manual - http://hcidesign.com/memtest/manual.html AND Icrontic Diagnose with Memtest86+ - http://icrontic.com/articles/diagnose_with_memtest86 .

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool - http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

I might also consider changing the CMOS battery, since my experience is that a failing battery causes all kinds of strange situations on my system.

Louis

#8 wilke41

wilke41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:59 PM

yuppers... ran memtest at like 4am. it found errors in both types of ram that i have. it wouldnt even run on my ocz until i played in the genie bios settings and changed the timing to the timing on the ram. i was familiar somewhat with some of these terms, but when it comes to configuring the ram ive been kinda lost. ive matched the 2.8v@2-3-2 timing that is on the chips themselves. still lotsa errors. still unable to boot fully from install media. my copy of ubuntu server gives me access to memtest but doesnt actually go through with the install... :thumbsup: for hours... couldnt sleep got up at 130am and started palyin with it again... watched memtest from 4 till 630 surfing through infomercials... loooosser, i cant wait till work picks back up next week lol hopefully ill have this offa my back by then!

#9 wilke41

wilke41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:02 PM

by the way thanks for the help hamluis im gonna check out those sites u gave me

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2009 - 04:03 PM

Well...I've run memory with different timings.

In such case, the motherboard will determine and normally make them work...so the timings alone would not cause an error in Memtest86+. I leave all RAM settings normally on AUTO, rather than invoke manual settings.

The clock speeds might...if they are different...but (again) the motherboard will normally adjust for that.

I had an instance last year where I had a module of RAM which was supposed to be PC3200 running at 200...but my board was picking it up as running at 166. This create instability in my system.

I found that I could run this module on that system (along with any other module) if I lowered my RAM clock speed from 200 to 166. I could also run other PC3200 at 200, but could run no lesser modules with it.

Since I had a ton of lesser modules and only 1 200 module which worked, I chose to run it downclocked at 166. No problems from it afterwards.

Louis

#11 wilke41

wilke41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:37 AM

Last nite i found that with all settings on auto, i got memtest through test eight, no error but it freezes in test eight... Im gonna buy new ram i guess, hopefully with a little research i can find something that wont give me problems.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:05 PM

Well...the problem may not be the RAM module itself...it could be the motherboard, the clock setting.

You found errors in each of the modules you have?

Louis

#13 wilke41

wilke41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:47 PM

Im going to try the clock speed, every module gives errors, eithr one at a time or all in together, 1gb or 4gb... I appreciate the help louis

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:13 AM

Let's go back to the beginning.

Specs: http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware...4ultralp/2.html

RAM specifics, please (stated speed). Are all modules the same?

FWIW: Well...you know that board doesn't show up at AMD's website...as recommended for that processor. Board takes 184-pin RAM, while the recommendation by AMD is DDR2.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Develo...3_15963,00.html

Louis

#15 wilke41

wilke41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:35 AM

ive been runnin that ram and processor in a abit av8 mobo for a long time now... i downclocked the ram and got good test results. it loads from the win 7 dvd but now tells me that it doesnt have the right device driver for my LG H55N dvd writer... i installed from the very same media for my last install with the same exact hardware.. everything worked great!!! so i installed XP, everyhting went great i removed the media from the drive, rebooted and then as it read the hard drive to boot it said "disk read error press ctrl alt del to reboot" i dont know where to go from here except more research

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users