Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slowing computer plus glitch

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GeraldUK

GeraldUK

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 11 October 2009 - 12:42 PM

Am running XP Home SP3 on a desktop, 2G Ram.

Over the last few weeks the computer has got rather slower, and I am in the process of working my way through the pinned “Slow Computer” post.

Having just rebooted I fonnd that there was no response between the mouse pointer clicks, (and also keyboard), and the computer, although the computer’s activity light gave the odd twitch. In Event Viewer, Application, there are about 20 instances all labeled nview.info although the narration invariably says it is unable to say what has caused the failure.

A hard reboot has cured the problem. Does anyone know what file(s) might be responsible? This is the second time this has happened in about 2 weeks.

On the slowness point about 3 or 4 weeks ago I added Threatfire (free version) and I wonder if readers of this board have found that their computers have slowed with a distinct hesitation between clicking for a an action, (especially a programme launch) and the response - which used to be virtually instantaneous?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:08 PM

Do a Google search there is a lot of info, mostly very good but there are some issues with conflicts.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 GeraldUK

GeraldUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:11 PM

OldPhil

Presume you are saying check Google for items on ThreatFire. I had already done this and it is highly rated - in particular the way it operates to detect very new viruses that, for example, my Kaspersky would not pick up immediately as there is no signature in it's database. There are one or two comments on ThreatFire slowing up the system, especially when browsing.

You can put Threatfire into a "suspend" mode, which I did the other day, and my computer seems to be running slightly faster, although that is rather a subjective opinion.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:12 PM

I know of the good reviews, it was the slow downs that caught my eye. I also run Kiss it is the best, go on the Kiss forum and see if there are any notations about your issue.

Phil

#5 GeraldUK

GeraldUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:20 PM

OldPhil

Google is not being much help with "Kiss" etc. Can you give me the URL or some more detail please?

I have turned Threatfire back on, and there seems to be no difference in response speeds.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:26 PM

OldPhil

Google is not being much help with "Kiss" etc. Can you give me the URL or some more detail please?

I have turned Threatfire back on, and there seems to be no difference in response speeds.

I was referring to the Kaspersky forums, if there is any problem with Threatfire there will be info up there. As with any of the security programs there can be conflicts some minor and some a real pain.

http://forum.kaspersky.com/

Phil

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:28 PM

I just went up on hte Kiss forums, there are a lot of posts on Threatfire. Check it out there should be some help. To use Threatfire with Kaspersky you must turn off proactive defense, frankly I would dump Treatfire as Kaspersky has a HIPS module!

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 14 October 2009 - 06:31 PM.

#8 GeraldUK

GeraldUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:24 PM

OldPhil

Thanks for that. I will get rid of Threatfire.

Cheers

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:42 PM

Hope that fixes you issue, check to see if there is a specific remover. A few security programs can be a bit of a paint to fully remove that may or may not be the case.

Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users