Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

question about dial up

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 fairchild

fairchild

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 29 July 2005 - 11:10 AM

Hi and thank you in advance.

I have a dial up connection, and I use Windows 98 SE, IE 6.0
Now, I know that my IP address changes every time I log on. When I use an IP tracer, it seems to take me to my local internet provider.

Let me give a tad of background info, because I don't want anyone to think that I am involved in something illegal, which I am not. I posted on the thread titled "sick, sick, sick" in the genreal discussion forum on this board. I received a scam mail, someone offering me 10% of millions of dollars, but when it comes to it, they end up getting money from the person who falls into that trap. While googling to find more about this scam, I came upon this website here, as there was an ongoing discussion about this scam, and I also found a site where people try and make sure that those scammers will think twice before they scam people again. I have decided to get my feet wet and try to talk the scammer out of doing such a low thing, it does not involve harsh or threatening language, though. Long story short, I will have to start up an e-mail conversation with him, and in the end he will find out that not all crimes go unpunished.

Obviously, I do not want him to know my location, and I want to avoid that he would be able to track my IP address.

I learned how to change an IP address and make it look like as if I am located in Vietnam. But from what I understand, such change does not apply to dial up connections.

Here is what I did.
open IE
tools
internet options
connections
LAN settings
Click on "use a proxy server for your LAN"

.. then you are supposed to put in the numbers that will tell that you're from a far away place.
But, I didn't really get that option. Instead, it said "LAN settings do not apply for dial up connections. Choose settings above for dial up settings.

When I look above, I do have an option to type in the numbers (after clicking on "settings"), and underneath is a box that says "bypass proxy server for local addresses"

Two questions here..

If I do all this, is it going to mess up my internet connection?
Should I check off the "bypass" box?

Thanks a lot for your time! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users