Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

One rail or multi rail power supplies.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 11 October 2009 - 04:16 AM

This is from P/C Power and Cooling.

8. ARE MULTIPLE 12-VOLT RAILS BETTER THAN A SINGLE 12-VOLT RAIL?

With all the hype about multiple 12-volt rails (ads claim that two rails is better than one, five is better than four, etc.), you'd think it was a better design. Unfortunately, it's not!

Here are the facts: A large, single 12-volt rail (without a 240VA limit) can transfer 100% of the 12-volt output from the PSU to the computer, while a multi-rail 12-volt design has distribution losses of up to 30% of the power supply's rating. Those losses occur because power literally gets "trapped" on under-utilized rails. For example, if the 12-volt rail that powers the CPU is rated for 17 amps and the CPU only uses 7A, the remaining 10A is unusable, since it is isolated from the rest of the system.

Since the maximum current from any one 12-volt rail of a multiple-rail PSU is limited to 20 amps (240VA / 12 volts = 20 amps), PCs with high-performance components that draw over 20 amps from the same rail are subject to over-current shutdowns. With power requirements for multiple processors and graphics cards continuing to grow, the multiple-rail design, with its 240VA limit per rail, is basically obsolete.

PC Power and Cooling is once again leading the industry. All of our power supplies now feature a large, single 12-volt rail. The design is favored by major processor and graphics companies, complies with EPS12V specs (the 240VA limit is not a requirement) and is approved by all major safety agencies such as UL and TUV.3 This is the question. Is this a true statement or just a add for there product. It seems to add up to me. I would like other members opinion.

Edited by Layback Bear, 11 October 2009 - 04:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:05 AM

With rare exceptions, all PSUs are single rail. A multirail model has it's single output divided into "rails", and each of those rails is current limited. There is no advantage to multiple rails. It just causes extra BS when you hook everything up, and my eyes are too old to have to look at what stripe is on what yellow wire. Some multirail PSUs don't even bother to actually split rails anymore. They are simply called "multirail" for marketing reasons.

Watts/amps being equal, I prefer a larger single rail unit.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:59 AM

A large, single 12-volt rail (without a 240VA limit)

The highlighted words being the key words
You still won't see that in the cheaper units
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:18 PM

I'm not looking for cheep, just good. I'm under the understanding that P/C POWER AND COOLING has been sold and there is a question in some mines that the quality might not be as good as it has been for years. I always start with the best P/S I can find. Is there another single rail P/S that any body would recommend. In the range of 800w to 1000w.

#5 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 06:23 AM

I'm not looking for cheep, just good. I'm under the understanding that P/C POWER AND COOLING has been sold and there is a question in some mines that the quality might not be as good as it has been for years. I always start with the best P/S I can find. Is there another single rail P/S that any body would recommend. In the range of 800w to 1000w.

Corsair HX850W
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/741/1

It is a single rail design and uses some very high quality components.

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:52 AM

Thank you very much DaffyKantReed! http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/741/1 is bookmarked. Very nice site. I'm planning on a new build so I do a lot of looking but when it comes to power supplies I haven't been finding. HX850W is looks like one of the good choices. I wonder why there HX1000W isn't a single rail.

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2009 - 05:42 AM

I wonder why there HX1000W isn't a single rail.

That PSU is actually 2 500 watt units combined in one case.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=...ory&reid=89

And another 850 review: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=...ry&reid=153

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#8 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:55 AM

You sure found another good one. That was a very good review. Another bookmark. I sure can do some real research and pick one. Thanks again to all.

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 18 October 2009 - 05:37 PM

personally, I am a fan of multi-rail solutions, they work well for me. I like them because it divides the power out a little more evenly, and if one rail decides to fry it might not fry your entire computer hehe. and in the older days, if you wanted anything high powered you needed multi rail solutions to handle the voltage. Newer PSU have gone to one or two rails with high voltage limits, so you no longer need to have multiple rails to handle high voltage components. Personally, I dont see anything wrong with either setup as long as the PSU is well built and can handle the setup you are building. My PSU is a 750 watt PSU with 4 19v rails, and it works great for me. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#10 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 09:28 AM

OK I have picked one Corsair HX1000. Thank you all for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users