Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cmd.exe issues!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gwebzor

Gwebzor

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 11 October 2009 - 12:22 AM

Well, my computer has been lagging (occasionally dropping Firefox, and telling me other programs aren't responding for about ten seconds or so, and then being alright again). And, as I usually do, I investigate the Processes tab of my Task Manager. I'm no expert on all of it, but some of it is familiar and I can recognize new ones that don't belong. In any case, the cmd.exe process has been hogging massive amounts of the CPU, and it simply won't calm down. I can't just get rid of it--for obvious reasons--and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for repairing a broken bit of this. Or maybe a freeware registry cleaner? Thanks so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 11 October 2009 - 02:12 AM

I don't think on B/C you will find anybody that will recommend a registry cleaner. IMHO the first thing I would check is what is starting up when you boot your computer. I use the Start Up List at the top of every page on B/C. The gain you will get all depends on your system. What your processor speed is and your ram speed is and the amount of ram just to list a couple of things. I use CCleaner to clean the junk out. IMHO I would not use the registry cleaner part of CCleaner. Sit back and wait,there will be more people posting with ideas and you can choose for your self what the next step is. It would help if you told us more about your system.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 11 October 2009 - 03:39 AM

Wait just a sec... cmd.exe is running without a visible Window and you don't know why? That's never a good sign. Something is executing commands....

#4 gully786

gully786

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:00 AM

OK im not an expert or anythin and my solution to everything starts of with hijackthis download it and run it(scan with log) and post the log so we can see all the processes running and much more

Thnks :thumbsup:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:21 AM

HJT logs should not be posted in this forum.

HJT is a malware tool...we have malware forums here that request and analyze HJT logs.

Posting one in this forum will just result in the thread being moved to one of the malware forums, which are somewhat overworked by users with malware problems/situations.

Louis

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 11 October 2009 - 02:49 PM

Reduce the chances of malicious software by running some scans.

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

These can be uninstalled later if desired.

Minimize back and forth Q&A and eliminate guesswork and assumptions:

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste
back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User Name), and whatever appears to
be private information to you, just delete from the pasted information.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#7 Gwebzor

Gwebzor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:43 PM

Hello! Thank you so much for your input everyone. Well, it turns out there WAS something evil working in the bowels of my computer. I ran both MBAM & SAS (which are lovely, thank you) and it seems to have fixed the problem.

It was one of those Security Tool buggers. But it's running fine now! Thank you for posting for me though! I really appreciate it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users