Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reboot Loop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 meanswing

meanswing

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 10 October 2009 - 09:24 PM

Some executable file was launch and it shutdown my computer and now it reboots constantly. I tried going into safe mode and it tries to load the .sys files but then reboots. I put the infected drive into another computer and tried to boot it from there to check if the power supply was at fault but it constantly rebooted in my uninfected pc. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:20 AM

If you think that the drive contains an infection...installing it as the boot drive was a mistake.

In any case, you cannot expect a boot drive from System A...to work on System B, the drivers and settings are completely different.

I suggest attaching it as a secondary drive...and then running appropriate AV and Malwarebytes on the drive, to reduce/refute the threat of infection.

After that, I would run the chkdsk /r command on that drive, from the 2d system, with the drive still attached as a secondary drive.

Louis

#3 meanswing

meanswing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:09 AM

Can i use my uninfected computer to mounth the infected one to scan for malware? Should i focus on the system32 folder or just scan the whole drive? Sorry for the noobish questions.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:19 AM

LOL, they are not noobish questions. They are reasonable questions asked by someone trying to solve a problem :thumbsup:.

Scan the entire drive, make sure that you have already installed/updated Malwarebytes and the AV program on the clean computer.

Make sure that the jumper settings are correct on the infected drive before you attach it.

Scan the C: partition.

Run the chkdsk /r command on the infected C: partition.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users