Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer wont start

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mastershake100

mastershake100

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:18 PM

I have a problem on my other home computer. Windows wont start up, it just keeps going straight back to the black screen you get when you press F8 but it does it on it's own. if i pick start safe mode(so i can scan for virus) it shows the windows screen like its booting then goes back to the blue screen. Even when i pick last working configuration, it just keeps going back to that screen. i dont have the windows disc anymore so i dont know what to do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:35 AM

hey mastershake100
sorry to hear about that.
Right now the first priority is to backup the data on your drive.
I suggest you follow the tutorial here.
I hope that helps.
powerjuce

#3 John1987

John1987

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 11 October 2009 - 01:43 PM

My first post here...

Please post the error codes you see in the blue screen

If you can`t see them, while you are in safe mode, do the following: Right click my computer >> Properties >> Advanced Tab >> click " Settings " button in " Startup and Recovery " pane >> uncheck " Automatically restart " >> press ok twice

Backup your data first

Cheers

#4 mastershake100

mastershake100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:22 AM

sorry when i said blue screen i meant black screen. it just keeps going back to the f8 screen. i cant get into safe mode or anything. thank you for the tutorial to back up my info, i was going to ask about that because i need the info on there for school, much appreciated.

im assuming you say it is first priority because you want me to back up my stuff before i do anything else to try to fix it, so i will go through the tutorial and report back soon hopefully thank you.

#5 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:26 PM

After you backup we are going to want to run the Recovery Console. Since you do not have your original Windows XP disc you can download the recovery console here [direct download].

After you download that you have to burn that to a disc, you can learn how to do that here.

Finally after all of that is done follow these instructions. (taken from here)

To start the Recovery Console directly from the Windows XP CD you would do the following:

1. Insert the Windows XP cd in your computer.

2. Restart your computer so you are booting off of the CD.

3. When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R button on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.

4. The Recovery Console will start and ask you which Windows installation you would like to log on to. If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would enter the number associated with the installation you would like to work on and press enter. If you have just one Windows installation, type 1 and press enter.

5. It will then prompt you for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, simply press enter. Otherwise type in the password and then press enter. If you do not know your password then see this.

6. If you entered the correct password you will now be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt and you can start using the Recovery Console.

NOTE: after all commands please press the ENTER key.
Once that is done, simply type in:

chkdsk /r C:

that will most probably take some time, but after that is done type in

exit
That will reboot your computer, if you reboot normally, then all is well.

However if it does not work repeat steps 1 - 6 to go into the recovery console, and this time type in:
bootcfg /default

after that command finishes working type in:
exit

that will allow you to reboot your computer.

Hope that help
~powerjuce

Edited by powerjuce, 14 October 2009 - 07:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users