After you backup we are going to want to run the Recovery Console. Since you do not have your original Windows XP disc you can download the recovery console here [direct download]
After you download that you have to burn that to a disc, you can learn how to do that here
Finally after all of that is done follow these instructions. (taken from here
To start the Recovery Console directly from the Windows XP CD you would do the following:
1. Insert the Windows XP cd in your computer.
2. Restart your computer so you are booting off of the CD.
3. When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R button on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.
4. The Recovery Console will start and ask you which Windows installation you would like to log on to. If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would enter the number associated with the installation you would like to work on and press enter. If you have just one Windows installation, type 1 and press enter.
5. It will then prompt you for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, simply press enter. Otherwise type in the password and then press enter. If you do not know your password then see this
6. If you entered the correct password you will now be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt and you can start using the Recovery Console.
NOTE: after all commands please press the ENTER key.
Once that is done, simply type in:
chkdsk /r C:
that will most probably take some time, but after that is done type in
That will reboot your computer, if you reboot normally, then all is well.
However if it does not work repeat steps 1 - 6 to go into the recovery console, and this time type in:
after that command finishes working type in:
that will allow you to reboot your computer.
Hope that help
Edited by powerjuce, 14 October 2009 - 07:27 PM.