Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU reading 80 Degrees. My first build

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 n3xtgen

n3xtgen

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 10 October 2009 - 07:46 PM

I just built my first computer today :thumbsup: . Everything is working fine but on my motherboard (EVGA P55, has a LED on it) the temperature was reading 45 degrees on start up, then 10 min later jumped to 80 degrees. I installed an i7 processor and on the bottom of the fan there was some kind of past so I assumed that it was the thermal paste. Was I right or do I need to add my own thermal paste to the CPU?

Thanks

Edited by n3xtgen, 10 October 2009 - 07:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 10 October 2009 - 11:54 PM

Was there any plastic film over the heatsink base? Is the cooler securely attached to the motherboard? Have you overclocked or tweeked voltage? What program are you using to check your CPU temp?

80C under load, with a stock cooler in a case, is not out of the realm of possibility. 45C at idle is too high. Doublecheck your FAN RPM (bump it up to max in BIOS and se if that makes a difference), remove the cooler, clean the CPU and the cooler base, and use a proper thermal paste.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 n3xtgen

n3xtgen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 11 October 2009 - 01:14 PM

turns out I dident have the fan on the CPU connected all the way down :thumbsup: .

So now my i7 is running at around 42 degrees Celsius after 2 hours with stock fan. Sound good?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users