Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes When Running Full MBAM Scan or Super AntiSpyware Scan

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 yossarian23

yossarian23

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 10 October 2009 - 07:35 PM

In the past day, my computer has been very tempermental. I am running Vista Home Premium and have been for about 2 months without any issues. I run Avira Antivir and Kaspersky Internet Security in the background. I ran a full Kaspersky scan and have no issues. Antivir has not found anything either, except for HP false positives. When I run Ad-Aware and Spybot scans, nothing shows up. I also ran CCleaner to scrub temp files and registry. Also, a quick scan with MBAM was clean.

But when I try to run a full scan in MBAM or SuperAntiSpyware, the computer hangs. This usually happens when the screen saver kicks in. So I disabled the screen saver, but it still happens. I cannot access anything at that point and have to power off from the power supply (ctl alt delete won't work).

Does anyone have any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:34 PM

Try disabling your anti-virus for the scans
Just remember to turn it back on
Also disable Spybot's Teatimer function if you use it

Edited by garmanma, 10 October 2009 - 08:36 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 yossarian23

yossarian23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2009 - 09:30 PM

Did that. I checked my Event Viewer and have a few errors. This one has been recurring.

A parity error was detected on \Device\RaidPort0.

Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.

But I am not running any drives in a RAID setup. I have 2 internal SATA drives and 1 external USB drive.

I also get the WMI Event ID 10 error, but I am hoping that is a symptom of the other items.

#4 yossarian23

yossarian23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2009 - 11:28 PM

I get a SMART HDD error when I run the HP diagnostic at startup. I suppose that could be the problem, but I am surprised since I just got the computer 45 days ago.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2009 - 03:46 PM

I get a SMART HDD error

I just got the computer 45 days ago.

Send it back. Your hard drive is getting ready to fail
To verify the S.M.A.R.T. error you can go to the support site for the manufacturer of the hard drive and download their diagnostic utility
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 yossarian23

yossarian23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:28 PM

I get a SMART HDD error

I just got the computer 45 days ago.

Send it back. Your hard drive is getting ready to fail
To verify the S.M.A.R.T. error you can go to the support site for the manufacturer of the hard drive and download their diagnostic utility

Already in process. Amazing considering how new it is. After much pain and suffering, I was able to clean it up enough to back files up. That was a major challenge.

Is there any chance that this could be a board problem? I have less faith in HP to deliver a good board than to deliver a good drive.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2009 - 07:03 PM

A bad batch of hard drives is more common than you think
Mark
Posted Image

#8 yossarian23

yossarian23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:36 AM

A bad batch of hard drives is more common than you think

Thanks. I ran the WD diagnostic. Quick scan is fine, but the extended scan hangs at the same place every time, so I guess it is pretty clear it is the drive. That's too bad. But that's why you create the recovery discs.

That being said, by simply recovering bad sectors, I was able to make the drive usable without major crashes until I get the new one in a few days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users