Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re-installed/Reformated XP - Now Have driver issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 float1ng1nspace

float1ng1nspace

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 10 October 2009 - 07:22 PM

Hello,

I apologize in advance i this isn't the correct forum to post this question (please move topic to the appropriate one if I've mis-posted), but here goes.

Computer got a very nasty virus that compromised the security of the computer so i decided to reinstall XP.

I re-installed w/o a problem, but I noticed my internet wasn't working. I went into the device manager and noticed that the following iteems had no driver installed (which would explain the problem w/the internet)

Ethernet controller
multimedia audio controller
network controller
raid controller
raid controller
universal serial bus (usb) controler
video controller (vga compatible)

How can identify what these items actually are so i can download the appropriate driver on a different computer, burn to disc and install on the computer that the drivers are missing on? (unless there that a) wont work or :thumbsup: there's a better way about going about this.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2009 - 07:40 PM

Visit the website of either the system manufacturer (if the system is a Dell, Gateway, eMachines, etc.)...or visit the website of the motherboard manufacturer (if the system is a custom/self-built) and download/install the drivers earmarked for those functions for that system/motherboard...which are for XP.

Louis

#3 float1ng1nspace

float1ng1nspace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2009 - 03:02 PM

Thank you for the reply. The computer is a custom/self-built system. i do not know the mfg of the motherboard. how would i be able to identify this?

Edit:

I was able to determine that the motherboard is an asus k8v se deluxe. and am trying to track down the appropriate drivers. thanks!

Edited by float1ng1nspace, 11 October 2009 - 03:44 PM.

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 11 October 2009 - 03:46 PM

If you can't get that box on the Internet, do the best you can to supply information:

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste
back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User Name), and whatever appears to
be private information to you, just delete from the pasted information.

Forget the copy/paste part - just carefully type in at least this much information using the example below:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation

System Model Dimension 2400

Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2657 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A05, 12/2/2003

Total Physical Memory 4096.00 MB

Edited by joseibarra, 11 October 2009 - 03:48 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users