Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unwanted MSN Search page

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mephisto

Mephisto

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 29 July 2005 - 06:21 AM

Hello.
Hope someone can help. As I search on Google, a automatic unwanted new page pops up with an MSN Search on it. How can you turn this off or stop it from happening? If it wasn't MSN one would say its a malware of some kind. Any one know how to deal with it?
Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 29 July 2005 - 08:48 AM

MSN still has redirects though, and that makes what it is doing malicious (because you are not in control of how your system is working).

Check your hosts file and see if there are any entries there that shouldn't be. That's the easiest way to redirect a search. Did you download any MSN toolbars or anything?

#3 Mephisto

Mephisto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 29 July 2005 - 10:03 AM

Thanks for that. No, I haven't downloaded anything new. It's a strange one. I will check hosts and see whats up in there. Doesn't happen every time but it is annoying and you are right, you are not in control.
Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users