Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dell xps 1330 and nvidia graphics problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bocelli

Bocelli

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 10 October 2009 - 03:08 PM

Just soliciting if there is a permanent solution to this problem as the current extended warranty offered will only fix the problem temporarily. If this is truly a designed flaw, why can't it be fixed by upgrading to a new graphics?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 10 October 2009 - 09:14 PM

What's wrong with your graphics? I think the Dell XPS M1330 is a laptop and the graphics on a notebook PC are soldered into the motherboard.

3939.png

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2009 - 11:24 PM

There are several fixes, how permanent they are is a matter of conjecture. Some BIOS fixes change the default fan speeds (increasing noise and killing your battery life), another fix replaces the motherboard. The best solution is to get the motherboard replaced under warranty as the other fix really is only a delay tactic. NVidia lied, got caught, and set aside a big chunk 'o change to fix all this. Be the squeeky wheel with Dell and angle for a mobo replacement.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 Bocelli

Bocelli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2009 - 07:18 PM

Dpunisher and DJBPace,

Yes, I'm on an extended warranty (thank god) and will have both the mobo and graphics replaced; I'm just worried that it's going to lead to the same problem. It appears that both aren't permanent as indicated by many. Is it true that applying a thermal grease on the affected area help? Is it also true that the latest BIOS will not fix the problem long term similar to the full replacement of the MOBO and graphics? If that's the case, my very new computer is basically a ticking time bomb. Can't Dell just replace it altogether? Can't they replace with a completely new mobo and graphics (not proned to this problem)?

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:51 PM

I do not know if any upgraded motherboard/chipset was released for that application.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:39 PM

If your motherboard is replaced to solve the graphics issue, then you are sort of getting a new PC but if the problem lies in the design or manufacturing of the motherboard, then it is possible that the problem can happen again. Dell can only use certain motherboards in each laptop.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users