Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wireless network

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 conk

conk

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 29 July 2005 - 05:45 AM

ok i have a wireless network between 2 pcs which are both connected to broadband but every few days or so the speed changes from 54mpbs to 11mbps the only thing that i can think of that is causing this is that there is some interference but i cant think what it is because of the way the times are spaced any ideas
If the universe is ever expanding, what are we expanding into?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 milzee

milzee

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 30 July 2005 - 08:17 AM

Do you Have Any Radio Reciever Type Devices In The Middle, Such As Mobiles, Landline Telephones, Radios, Along Those Lines?

#3 conk

conk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2005 - 03:17 PM

there is yes but we have tried turning them all off and it still happens i think im just gonna wire it because it will be faster then :thumbsup:

#4 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 02 August 2005 - 06:22 PM

oddly enough 54mbs is 802.11g standard, and 11mbs is 802.11b. do you have 2 different standards in your wlan? if they are the same, go into your router config and select either "b" or "g", whichever you have , providing they are the same. btw, your internet connection is likely not more then 5m connection anyway, so it won't make a difference as far as the internet connection is concerned. but as far as interference goes, read this:

Going wireless is an exciting milestone. Whether you're in the process of setting up your network or you've already been working happily without wires, you're probably familiar with Public Enemy Number One in the wireless world: interference.
If you've experienced interference, you know how annoying it can be: now you have a signal; now you don't. It's like hide-and-seek.without the fun. But wait! Don't throw your hands (or your laptop) in the air. We'll tell you how to determine what might be affecting your signal, and how to get back to being your old productive self.
What is it?
Think of a time when your favorite radio or television station wouldn't come in due to bad weather. When the storm passed, the signal became clear again. Similarly, because your wireless network relies on radio waves traveling through your home, your signal may waver for a variety of reasons. How will you know if you're experiencing interference in the first place? We'll help you identify and solve potential problems.
Check your signal
Thankfully, the client software that comes with almost all wireless network adapters can help you monitor your network's performance. With most systems, there will be a signal-strength meter in the Windows system tray (usually found in the bottom right corner of your screen).
In addition, the client software itself probably has a more in-depth system for testing signal strength. This feature is commonly called a link test function, although it may be called something else (depending on the manufacturer). Check your manual or the online help system, which usually measures:
Signal strength: Measured in decibels compared to one milliwatt (or dBm), the signal strength is sometimes referred to as signal level. The higher this number is, the better chance you have for a full-speed connection between your access point and your PC.
Noise level: Ideally, you want the noise level (also measured in dBm) to be as low as possible. Cordless phones and microwaves are common culprits for increasing the noise level.
Signal-to-noise ratio (SNR): This is the most telling of the numbers because it compares the strength of the signal with the noise that is interfering. SNR is measured in decibels (dB), and a higher number is good news.
Placing your access point
The location of your access point (AP) is key. With a little planning, you can avoid potential interference and save yourself time, money, and frustration.

Here are some pointers:
Pick a place near the center of your home.
Avoid mounting your AP on the wall. The best place is six or more inches from the wall.
Keep the AP out of the line of sight of microwaves, cordless phones, refrigerators, and other appliances that contain metal.
Your computer can cause interference, so try keeping the AP separate.
Avoid putting the AP low to the ground. Instead, keep it on a table or a shelf.
If your house is large, you may need two access points.
Troubleshooting tips
If your wireless network is all set up and you're experiencing interference, here are some ideas for improving the signal:
Move the access point. See the above section for pointers, and if all else fails, walk around with the AP while someone else monitors your signal strength.
Change channels. If you've got a neighbor with a wireless network, you may be operating on the same channel. You can change the channel in the software that came with your wireless access point.
Move the antenna. Not all antennas have the same range of coverage, so finding the best position is a matter of trial-and-error. Try moving yours around and changing the angle.
Change phones. If you have an 802.11b or g network, consider one of the newer 5GHz cordless phones. If you have an 802.11a, try a 2.4GHz phone. Better yet, an older 900MHz phone won't interfere with either type of network.
Check other network obstructions. Other network obstructions include ceramic tile, concrete, and even stacks of newspapers, as well as Bluetooth-enabled devices such as laptops and PDAs.
Consider an upgrade. If you're using 802.11b, you might have better luck with the newer 802.11g devices that have more non-overlapping channels and less interference. Plus, they're almost five times as fast!
Google...Google.....browse..read

#5 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 03 August 2005 - 10:56 AM

Snapper's advice is sound. The other thing that I'm thinking is, do the devices ever report speeds back up to 54mb after dropping down to 11? Meaning, perhaps when things are relatively idle on your systems the wireless throttles itself back but if and when you were doing some serious up/downloading it would open back up?

I have noticed on my system at work that after I first log on, the speed is reported as 54 but later in the day it might be half that, or 11, or 5 and later still back up to 54. All the time the bars are full and green and connection quality is rated good or excellent.

#6 conk

conk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2005 - 04:47 PM

i thought of that and even if i download or play an online game then it still stays at eleven but i did some poking about :thumbsup: and it seems to have stopped i dont know what i did but i did it :flowers: anyway thanks for the help guys

#7 mikex

mikex

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 03 August 2005 - 07:35 PM

enable some sort of encryption for safety. At least WEP 128bit.

M

#8 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 07:16 PM

mikex, wep sucks. really. it sucks signal and is easy to crack. you want security disable "broadcast ssid"

#9 mikex

mikex

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 08 August 2005 - 08:04 AM

yes wep is not the best. most people purchase off the shelf equipment then click next/ok untill it is installed. then wonder about the news saying how unsecure wireless networking is.

#10 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2005 - 07:42 PM

make your soho wlan secure with no cost,
1.disable broadcast ssid
2.make your ip's static
3.disable DHCP on router, and shorten your address list to available nodes
4.enable strictly static ip's you created for your nodes access to lan
5.if you wanna be anal, do the same for the mac addresses of the nodes, but that is a bit unnecessary
6.change login name to router
7.change password to router

wep is more hinderance than help, it will use bandwidth with authentication packets and headers. and can be cracked within minutes by anybody who has net access and google. so save piece of mond, and bandwidth, don't use wep.

unless you want public access, i recommend even to beginners to do steps
this will give small bit of security, open bandwidth, make reconnections less painful to wlan users.
but thats just me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users