Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to detect problem with possibly infected website/server?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jigal van Hemert

Jigal van Hemert

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 10 October 2009 - 11:56 AM

Over the past weeks I received many reports from people getting popups about "Total Security" only when they visit my website.

I have experienced the same in IE (also only when visiting my own site) and in Firefox I see http 503 errors in Firebug.
This doesn't happen constantly, but kind of in waves. Some days the problems are pretty bad, then there is no problem for days.

The hosting provider keeps telling me that my PC must be infected or that the wrong people have gotten my FTP password by key loggers. I scanned the PC with McAfee (provided by my ISP), PC Tools Spyware Doctor, Malware Anti-Malwarebytes, Spybot Search & Destroy, Hitman Pro, NAV32, but nothing was found, except a few cookies from webstats tools.

I downloaded all file from the webstite to a directory on my harddisk and used all those tools to scan those files. They were reported to be clean.
I read all the text files (.shtml, .pl, .php, etc.) for strange code which I have not written myself, I used WinMerge to compare the directory with the working directory on my PC, but no differences were found.

I'm running out of ideas, but the popups keep appearing with many people. The hosting provider says the server is clean and has no viruses.

Any ideas how to get rid of these nasty popups??

Regards, Jigal.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:09 PM

I will contact the people that have experience in this area
Please be patient
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Jigal van Hemert

Jigal van Hemert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:46 AM

Thanks in advance! I will wait for your further response.

Regards, Jigal.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:36 AM

Unfortunately, av scanners may not detect web site hacks. Can you send me a private message with your web site's url and I will take a look?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users