Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

moving to a new hardware

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 patchfree

patchfree

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 10 October 2009 - 09:41 AM

I would like to move to a new harware because my PC is quite old and as I am using frequently image processing it appears to be not as fast as I expect (in 2009!).
But I has no software problem, and a lot of softwares installed. So my idea is to move to a new hardware without reinstalling my OS (WinXP Professionnal) and the bunch of softwares... That is keeping my HDD...

Is this possible?
Is this already described somewhere here?
If it's possible what is the best way to perform it?

Thanks

Patch

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 10 October 2009 - 09:52 AM

It's possible (sometimes)...but not recommended as a normal way of doing things.

Lots of variables...generally I would say that it cannot be done successfully with a "name brand" system (one by HP, Gateway, Emachines, Dell, etc.) because (generally) those systems are tied to recovery/restore disks/partitions, as opposed to a Microsoft XP install CD acquired as a separate purchase of the system hardware.

On a custom-built system (where the user has installed XP herself/himself with a copy of XP purchased as a separate item)...or one of the above-mentioned systems where the user has deleted everything installed when the system was purchased and then installed XP using a valid license/key and a Microsoft install CD...the effort can be made, but the results are not predictable or guaranteed.

Intel® Application Accelerator - Moving a Hard Drive to a New Motherboard - http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:cLjCO4...=clnk&gl=us

Changing a Motherboard or Moving Hard Drive - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 11 October 2009 - 01:01 PM.

#3 patchfree

patchfree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:45 AM

Many thanks.

My computer is a "home made" one. So I'll go to the links indicated to study the possibility to change hardware without changing HDD and weight the pro and cons such a process.

Patch

Edit: the first link is brocken.

Edited by patchfree, 11 October 2009 - 10:51 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 11 October 2009 - 01:02 PM

Link fixed.

Louis

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:06 AM

Moving HDD with OS ...
http://thinkinginpixels.com/quick-fixes/fi...ror-0x0000007b/
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users