Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan.Win32.Agent2.hoq

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 testscorezero

testscorezero

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 10 October 2009 - 01:11 AM

Hello,

I have a virus that keeps popping up on my computer.
It gets quarantined repeatedly by my Bell Anti-Virus program but the root virus is never found / deleted.
The Bell virus log calls it: Trojan.Win32.Agent2.hoq and the file name is c:\WINDOWS\system32\gxvxckhfpompxmpfvxyaehwevpwqoewbydliq.dll
Not sure if related but my browser jumps from inputed site to random sites when trying to open a new page
My computer also starts up slower and seems to crash more

I have tried doing a virus scan - does not fix it, states none found but then the above happens.
I also get an error in a little yellow triangle with a ! that advises I have a problem with a dll in one of the Bell folders.

I read another users entry and they were advised to run RootRepeal and send you the file - pasted into the message.
Please note when I run this program the first problem I had was windows advised the page file was too small. I increased the page file size vis the control panel /systems tab/advanced setting to 3500. this got rid of the windows message when I shut the program down and restarted it but now it simply runs and runs without end.
The message on the screen is the programming is intializing... please wait. When I look in task manager after approx 15 minutes, the page file is at about 2.43 - the CPU usage fluctuates between 25-75% and the process page states the file name as busy and mot responding.

Not sure what is going on - please advise.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 10 October 2009 - 10:05 AM

Hello and welcome. I think we have a rootkit here.

Next run MBAM (MalwareBytes):

NOTE: Before saving MBAM please rename it to zztoy.exe....now save it to your desktop.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.

alternate download link

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

We Need to check for Rootkits with RootRepeal
  • Download RootRepeal from the following location and save it to your desktop.
  • Extract RootRepeal.exe from the archive (If you did not use the "Direct Download" mirror).
  • Open Posted Image on your desktop.
  • Click the Posted Image tab.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Check all seven boxes: Posted Image
  • Push Ok
  • Check the box for your main system drive (Usually C:), and press Ok.
  • Allow RootRepeal to run a scan of your system. This may take some time.
  • Once the scan completes, push the Posted Image button. Save the log to your desktop, using a distinctive name, such as RootRepeal.txt. Include this report in your next reply, please.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 testscorezero

testscorezero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:18 PM

Hi

I downloaded MBAM and renamed to my desktop - zztoy.exe.
I used the alternate link site as the first did not open.

I then installed the program - default settings kept as advised.

After install it did not "auto launch or update" even though I had checked both these buttons.

During installation I also added the icon to my desk top - it would not run when I clicked it. Even going to the main file folder and running from there the program would not open.

Please note, the manual update link you mention is also no longer available.

Not sure what to do next as I can not run MBAM or RootRepeal!

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:44 AM

It looks like there is a rootkit active here. The rootkit itself is a protection module used to terminate a variety of security tools by changing the permissions on targeted programs so that they cannot run or complete scans. There are some new variants of rootkits in the wild right now that will require custom scripts to remove the infection, the process must be completed by HJT team members or above.

Failure to follow the proper removal process can and will cause serious damage to a machine. Recovery of the machine may be difficult, if not impossible.

Download this Utility and save it to your Desktop.
Double-click the Utility to run it and and let it finish.
When it states Finished! Press any key to exit, press any key to close the program.
It will save a .txt file to your desktop automatically. Double-click on the Win32kDiag.txt file that is located on your Desktop and post the entire contents of that log as part of the reply in the topic you will create below..

Next please go here HijackThis Logs and Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal ,click New Topic,give it a relevant Title and post the above Win32kDiag.exe log.

Let me know how that went.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 testscorezero

testscorezero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2009 - 05:41 PM

Hi Boopme,

The "rootkit" prevented it from running.
See text file:

Running from: C:\Documents and Settings\Andrew\Desktop\Win32kDiag.exe

Log file at : C:\Documents and Settings\Andrew\Desktop\Win32kDiag.txt

WARNING: Could not get backup privileges!

Searching 'C:\WINDOWS'...

Anything I can do?

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:35 PM

Please try this instead.

Please download RSIT by random/random and save it to your Desktop.
Note: You will need to run this tool while connected to the Internet so it can download HijackThis if it is not located on your system. If you get a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding Rist attempting to contact the Internet, please allow the connection.
  • Close all applications and windows so that you have nothing open and are at your Desktop.
  • Double-click on RSIT.exe to start the program.
  • If using Windows Vista, be sure to Run As Administrator.
  • Click Continue after reading the disclaimer screen.
  • Leave the drop down box set to default: "List/folders created or modified in the last 1 month (30 days).
  • When the scan is complete, a text file named log.txt will automatically open in Notepad.
  • Save the log file to your desktop and copy/paste the contents into a new topic in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here.
Important: Be sure to mention that you tried to follow the Prep Guide but were unable to get DDS to run.
If RSIT did not work, then reply back here.

#7 testscorezero

testscorezero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 05:07 PM

Hi boopme

Please note that when you advised it was possibly a rootkit, I went to the forum link where you told me to post the "text files" and followed an example that was posted there for rootkits.

I think my system is now clean.
The program that cleared the issue was something I downloaded and saved as CFScan.

Thank you for all your help - this site is great!

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:03 PM

OK,thanks and you are welcome. If all is good here then....
Now you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been backed up, renamed and saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok". Disk Cleanup will scan your files for several minutes, then open.
  • Click the "More Options" tab, then click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.
  • Click Ok. You will be prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?"
  • Click Yes, then click Ok.
  • Click Yes again when prompted with "Are you sure you want to perform these actions?"
  • Disk Cleanup will remove the files and close automatically.
Vista Users can refer to these links: Create a New Restore Point and Disk Cleanup.

#9 testscorezero

testscorezero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:01 PM

Hi boopme

Done - Thanks again!

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:23 PM

You're most welcome,as new malware is getting stronger and harder to remove, please take a moment to read quietman7's excellent prevention tips in post 17 here
Click>>Tips to protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users