Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Files - Windows ME

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ooppss

ooppss

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 28 July 2005 - 11:50 PM

Hi out there, sure could use some advise on these three missing files. I must have deleted them by accident.

When running my MCAFEE first aid. It tells me that these are critical Problems. All three of these files are missing

1. cwbase-sys
2. cwbwdm-sys
3. cwbaudio-bin

Also I am not sure if this is related or not but when I shut down the system and reboot. I get a black screen and up in the Upper left corner it states
" Operating system not found " I have to turn it on and off several times to be able to get it up and running. Kind of scary.

This HP has been quite a workhorse for me I have only replaced the power supply in the time I have had it.

Appreciate someones help on this.

Thanks !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2005 - 09:24 AM

What Windows version are you running?
What Make & Model of HP?
Any after market hardware installed? (sound, video, ect.)

When running my MCAFEE first aid. It tells me that these are critical Problems. All three of these files are missing

1. cwbase-sys
2. cwbwdm-sys
3. cwbaudio-bin

These appear to be files associated with your sound card.
After finding out the above info. I will be better armed to help you with this problem.

Also I am not sure if this is related or not but when I shut down the system and reboot. I get a black screen and up in the Upper left corner it states
" Operating system not found " I have to turn it on and off several times to be able to get it up and running. Kind of scary.

Nothing to be scared about, but it is a good time to backup all your important data, could be HDD starting to fail.
Enter the BIOS and set the defaults.
Run Scandisk & Defrag.
Find out what make of HDD you are running, most HDD manufactures offer diagnostic tools on their websites you can run to test your HDD.

#3 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2005 - 10:28 PM

To enter the BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) & Reset the Defaults:

Turn on the PC and press the F1 key repeatedly at the first logo screen. "Entering Setup" should appear on the screen.

Using the Arrow Keys:

Navigate to the Right to Exit>Down to Set Defaults>Exit Saving Changes

You are still running the factory sound card so go to the Device Manager.
Right Click My Computer>Properties>Device Manager>Go to Sounds>Click the + >Right click and remove the sound devices and reboot the computer and let it reload the drivers from the Driver Cache.

If a window appears stating that it needs help finding particular files, browse to the following pathnames, one at a time, until the file is found:

C:\Windows\inf

C:\Windows\options\cabs

C:\Windows\system

C:\Windows\system32

#4 ooppss

ooppss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2005 - 11:28 PM

I appreciate the input, but at this point the computer was exhausted and would not get me beyond the Error message of not finding the Operating System. It just wouldn't boot. So I have opted for a new system. Thanks for the assistance.

#5 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2005 - 11:35 PM

I appreciate the input, but at this point the computer was exhausted and would not get me beyond the Error message of not finding the Operating System. It just wouldn't boot. So I have opted for a new system. Thanks for the assistance.

Well I guess they are just like everything else, there comes a time to just upgrade to a newer model. :thumbsup:

I guess you have one to experiment with now. :flowers:

Sorry we didn't have a strong enough defibrillator.
Hope you enjoy your new one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users