Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't work at all...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bomber1712

bomber1712

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:00 PM

OK, so I am probably an idiot, and feel free to call me one if that is the case!

I have an old Dell Inspiron running XP Pro. 750 Mhz Intel, 756 RAM, 2 hard drives.

I set this up to be a headless server. Initially, it was just going to be used as an "always on" print and file share box. As I experimented, I realized that I could install Filezilla and Apache to have an FTP and HTTP server right in my home. I set up the FTP to share a couple of folders to the Internet. I set it up with user ID and password, nothing generic. I thought I had security covered. I thought it would be handy to have some files accessible from anywhere. I also set up the "Server" (entire) drives to be shared over my LAN.

I was really enjoying this set up. I even followed the Filezilla log to see people from all over the world trying to get into my FTP server. It looked as though the security always held. I even built a website and used a domain from DynDNS.com.

Now for the problem. One day this week, the printer attached to the server started acting up. It was printing crazy stuff, a couple of lines per page. I used an entire ream of paper. Then, I tried to access the share drives over my LAN and could not find them. So I used Teamviewer to access the server, and could not connect.

I disconnected the server from the network. I attached a monitor, keyboard and mouse. My intention was to run MBAM and SAS, so I downloaded the latest versions to a jump drive. I connected the drive to the server, and clicked "My Computer" to access the drive. The computer would not open "My Computer". In fact, the entire operation of the computer was basically halted. I could move the mouse (that had an hourglass), but nothing happened.

So, I am stuck. All of the things that I would normally do to try to diagnose or fix an issue like this will not work. I was able to restart in Safe Mode, install and run MBAM. The quick scan found nothing, so I am running a full scan, right now. I will edit this post at the finish if it finds anything. (EDIT) full scan finished without finding anything. Still cannot use the computer.

I was unable to install SAS. Am I supposed to be able to install this under Safe Mode, or not?

I am begging for some help! I am also (secondarily) interested in what I did wrong to allow this infection (whatever it is) to happen. I am sure I did something wrong.

Edited by bomber1712, 10 October 2009 - 12:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bomber1712

bomber1712
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:31 PM

Never mind....I just nuked the computer and reinstalled a Macrium image I had.

Computer is running great. Server is offline!

I am still interested in discussing the security of the server, what could have happened, and how I can get my server online again - but securely!! Not sure if I need to open a new topic, search elsewhere, or what.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users