Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Wireless Adapter

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ApInflux

ApInflux

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:35 PM

Hi i want to get a Usb Wireless Adapter but im not sure what is the right one for me. I was looking at a USB Wireless-N 802.11n WiFi Network Adapter 300Mbps, and not sure if its enough. Is this the highest performance adapter or not? I am a gamer, i surf the internet a lot and i don't like to lagg is this adapter right for me? What kind would you suggest?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:48 PM

Networks are only as fast as the slowest component. So unless you have the router that will go that fast then it makes no difference. But if you are an online gamer you will want to be wired to the router. No matter the bandwidth of a wireless adapter it still has to transmit which equals lag. just my opinion.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 ApInflux

ApInflux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 07:13 PM

Networks are only as fast as the slowest component. So unless you have the router that will go that fast then it makes no difference. But if you are an online gamer you will want to be wired to the router. No matter the bandwidth of a wireless adapter it still has to transmit which equals lag. just my opinion.

oh ok, but im sure not all wireless adapters are the same are they? If they are not then what are the highest setting of an adapter? eg. 300Mbps 802.11n (what does #'s mean by the way)

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:37 PM

This page can explain it better than I can

No not all of them are the same, hence the letters. But I would say that all 802.11g adapters are pretty much the same. I would say the same for 802.11n adapters. But they never make something new that isn't backwards compatible when it comes to these adapters. So a 802.11n will work on a G router, just at the G bandwidth. But here again, G = 22Mbs typical and N = 144Mbs typical, no matter what the bandwidth transmitting is still slower than it would be through a wire.

Edited by CaveDweller2, 10 October 2009 - 01:58 AM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 ApInflux

ApInflux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:13 PM

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11]This page[/i] can explain it better than I can

No not all of them are the same, hence the letters. But I would say that all 802.11g adapters are pretty much the same. I would say the same for 802.11n adapters. But they never make something new that isn't backwards compatible when it comes to these adapters. So a 802.11n will work on a G router, just at the G bandwidth. But here again, G = 22Mbs typical and N = 144Mbs typical, no matter what the bandwidth transmitting is still slower than it would be through a wire.

Oh, ok now i get it well thanks for your help :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users