Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Installing Network Card for WRT54G:0

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sharoncrunch

sharoncrunch

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:08 PM

I am installing a WPC54G notebook adapter into my daughter's Dell Inspiron laptop on which I just did a reinstall of Windows.

I have installed this card/adapter and used it prior to the reinstall fine, with no problems---til now.

I used the accompanying cd, followed the instructions, as always, but the adapter cannot find the router--or any ssid.

Just keeps reading inactive.

Can someone please help me out, as I am at my wit's end!! :thumbsup:

Thank you[:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:52 PM

Have you looked in Device manager to make sure it is installed correctly? Are you using the software that came with the adapter or letting windows control it?

If Device manager looks fine and you use the software that came with the adapter, what happens when you right click the icon in the task bar(by the clock) and repair the connection? Normally that kind of software comes with a Diagnostic section.

What version of Windows?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 sharoncrunch

sharoncrunch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:26 PM

The OS is WinXP, sp2
This WinXP is so old that Device Mgr is not even offered as an option anywhere. However, Linksys Wireless-G Notebk shows as a newly installed program.

I installed adapter card from the original cd---Like I said, I never encountered any problems w/installing this before, only now.

Edited by sharoncrunch, 09 October 2009 - 05:52 PM.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:41 PM

Device manager = Right click on My Computer -> click Properties -> click Hardware tab -> click Device manager button. You are looking for Yellow exclamation points or question marks.

And the other questions I asked?

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 sharoncrunch

sharoncrunch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2009 - 01:55 PM

Yes, I found many yellow exclamations: Ethernet Controller, Multimedia Audio Controller, Network Controller, PCI Modem, Video Controller, Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

If you haven't figured it out yet, I am not tech gifted....What now?

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2009 - 02:45 PM

Did the laptop come with any disks? If so you need to run the one labeled Drivers.

If it didn't come with disks, how did you re-install windows?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users