Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wsastartup () failed or you have the incorrect version of winsock installed

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 iamanewbie

iamanewbie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:00 PM

Have not downloaded anything for a week, have not opened any .exe files for a long time also and one morning when I turned on my laptop (HPComapq6715b) I received this message "wsastartup failed or you have the incorrect version of winsock installed" and windwos sidebar wasnt working properly. This message was in the window, but window tittle was "uTorrent", so it seems utorrent has something to do with this. But after restart my computer was loging in for about 2-3 minutes and after it finally did I had just blue screen (maybe this color, because of my theme). I tried ctrl+alt+del and it dropped me to the pre-lock menu (I am using Windows Vista Home Basic). I launched task manager, but I couldnt do anything with this. So, I launched notebook in safe mode (finally I got some desktop) and launched combofix.
It has deleted these files:

c:\users\USER\AppData\Local\temp\catchme.dll
c:\windows\system32\oem18.inf
c:\windows\system32\oem36.inf

But after restart in normal mode it didnt load normal desktop and as it was in previous times, just blank blue screen.

Should I post the rest of log to you?

Edited by iamanewbie, 09 October 2009 - 02:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iamanewbie

iamanewbie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:37 PM

Problem solved. I have launched once again combofix + full scanned my pc with ad-aware (in safe mode) + made this: in cmd wrote "netsh winsock reset". After restart all come back to normal.

Edited by iamanewbie, 09 October 2009 - 02:48 PM.

#3 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:14 PM

Thanks for letting us know iamanewbie. :(

Please becarefull though. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users