Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sound card and onboard sound problems

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 genthore

genthore

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:27 AM

I cant get my creative CT 4810 sound card or the onboard Soundmax audio drivers installed.
In device manager there are yellow questionmarks next to multi media audio controllers and its error code 28 (Drivers are not installed) - sounds simple right?
Well the thing is- I downloaded the latest drivers but they always fail to install. The windows update has drivers for the card but it also fails to install
the error message says the operation has been aborted because of a thread exit or an application request.

I only put the card in yesterday and yes I disabled the onboard sound before I did- its an older card but creative had the drivers on thier website- the problem was originally with the onboard audio which was scratchy and static so I thought i could bypass it with a sound card but now neither of them will work.
any suggestions anybody

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:35 PM

Without knowing what motherboard you are using, I would first suggest you re-enable the sound in the BIOS. Usually, a new sound card will over-ride the on-board without having to disable anything.

Give that a shot.

Or give us the MB type. Maybe we can see something you are not.

DR

#3 genthore

genthore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:01 PM

I dont know what the mb is but the computer is a dell dimension 4700.
It was my old one that my kid now uses
I went to the Dell website and tried to install the drivers for the onboard but they wont install.
I also got the drivers from the creative website for the card and they wont install either
I tried everything basic that I know how to do but this problem is beyond my scope of knowledge

#4 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:15 AM

And I assume you re-enabled the On-board, no?

If you can Uninstall the Sound Items via the Device Manager, I would do that first. Then shut down the computer and remove the new sound card.

Then I would start it up and enter BIOS. Either remove the battery for 10-15 seconds or, if you can identify the BIOS reset jumper that some Dell's have, reset it with that. (it doesn't sound like you have anything fancy in the BIOS, with your setup.

At that point, the On-board Sound will be re-enabled.

When you boot back into Windows, hopefully it will go through a New Hardware Wizard. You can let it go out and try to find the drivers or download them from Dell and have them ready in a handy place.

This shouldn't make the system any worse and it does have the chance of repairing it.

Once you get the on-board running, you can try the sound card again. (Maybe?)

OK, good luck.

DR

#5 tman 1

tman 1

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:17 AM

manufactor websites motherbored are brand name hp dell etc...

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2009 - 09:36 AM

manufactor websites motherbored are brand name hp dell etc...

the computer is a dell dimension 4700.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 genthore

genthore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:50 PM

"Then I would start it up and enter BIOS. Either remove the battery for 10-15 seconds or, if you can identify the BIOS reset jumper that some Dell's have, reset it with that. (it doesn't sound like you have anything fancy in the BIOS, with your setup."

I did that

"At that point, the On-board Sound will be re-enabled."

yes it was

"When you boot back into Windows, hopefully it will go through a New Hardware Wizard. You can let it go out and try to find the drivers or download them from Dell and have them ready in a handy place."

the wizard found the onboard sound and finds the drivers but installation fails every time.

thanks for the suggestions and if you know of anything else I can try please let me know

Edited by genthore, 12 October 2009 - 01:53 PM.

#8 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:37 AM

Are you letting it go out and find the drivers itself or have you downloaded the (appropriate) drivers to a location on your computer?

Now, what if you now install the new sound board and DON'T go into BIOS. Does it still use the On-board? Does the New hardware Wizard come up?

Can you see any identifying markings on that motherboard? Sometimes they are between the PCI slots and other times they are on the edge or near the processor. Maybe this motherboard has been swapped?

If you can get any type of identifying name, logo or part number, we can be sure you are searching for (and getting) the right drivers.

DR

#9 genthore

genthore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:20 PM

Are you letting it go out and find the drivers itself or have you downloaded the (appropriate) drivers to a location on your computer?

the drivers for the onboard it finds by itself. I had to download the sound card drivers to a location. I am sure they are the right drivers .

Now, what if you now install the new sound board and DON'T go into BIOS. Does it still use the On-board? Does the New hardware Wizard come up?

The hardware wizard comes up regardless of the setting in the BIOS I don't know which it is using since neither work.

Can you see any identifying markings on that motherboard? Sometimes they are between the PCI slots and other times they are on the edge or near the processor. Maybe this motherboard has been swapped?

I will look again soon ...I can't at the moment

If you can get any type of identifying name, logo or part number, we can be sure you are searching for (and getting) the right drivers.

I honestly don't think it is a wrong driver issue - I am 99.9% sure the drivers are the right ones but for some reason they won't install .

Is there a common link between the onboard sound and a sound card - if they both go thru the same device somehow then I believe that is where the problem is.

#10 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2009 - 05:30 PM

The sound, as well as the PCI bus, go through the SouthBridge Chip. If you were having a problem with the SouthBridge, you might notice even more odd things happening.

The motherboard info would be very helpful, when you get the chance.

DR

Edited by rigacci, 17 October 2009 - 05:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users