Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Cooling fan with temp sensor (thermistor)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Shandley

Shandley

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:58 AM

Greetings,

I am taking apart a computer right now that has AMD hardware in it and a Thermaltake cooler on the CPU. The wee thermistor was floating in the air near the cpu. I know this isn't right but I have no clue where to mount this. Could someone point me in the right direction?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:37 PM

The thermistor.....

Does it look like it was supposed to sit on the top of the Thermaltake cooler, or was it underneath the cpu or is this an "add-on" heat sensor?

Most motherboards in recent years, have a thermistor mounted underneath the CPU itself in the middle of the cpu socket. This normally holds true for Socket 7, Socket 370, Socket A, and most other socketed processors. There are some exceptions to this though.

Most thermistors are blue in color and only have 2 leads.

If this looks like the one that was supposed to be "under" the cpu, then you have a couple choices.

1. You can take your chances with running the machine without this thermistor ( although not recommended as you will not know what temp the CPU is )

2. You can try to re-solder it in place where it originally belongs. ( Very fine intricate soldering work )

If this is an add-on temperature sensor, most people insert them into the cpu heatsink just above the base. This gives a more "closer" reading as to what temp the cpu really is.

If it is one that looks like it should be a part of the CPU fan itself, you can either replace the fan, or leave it off. The choice is yours.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users