Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install Windows 7 myself?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 katieb

katieb

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:11 AM

First of all I currently have Vista; is getting Windows 7 worth my time and money? (I'm assuming yes, Vista KINDA sucks :huh: ) Secondly, I'm not computer-savvy, though I can some simple things. Is this something that I would be able to do myself or is it in my (and my computer's) best interest to have a 'professional' do it for me such as my school's IT department? (I'm a college student and would get the $29.99 promotion package).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:43 AM

First of all I currently have Vista; is getting Windows 7 worth my time and money? (I'm assuming yes, Vista KINDA sucks :huh: ) Secondly, I'm not computer-savvy, though I can some simple things. Is this something that I would be able to do myself or is it in my (and my computer's) best interest to have a 'professional' do it for me such as my school's IT department? (I'm a college student and would get the $29.99 promotion package).

Backup your important data then do a clean install of Windows 7 as detailed in the following link:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-...indows-7-a.html

It's actually dead simple and you will learn something new in the process.

#3 Chris7251m

Chris7251m

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 07:29 PM

Great advice, I have a free upgrade but am always concerned about upgrades when what I have works fine. What to do???

#4 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:58 AM

Great advice, I have a free upgrade but am always concerned about upgrades when what I have works fine. What to do???

My personal experience with upgrading/repairing Windows is anything but good. As a consequence, I can only recommend a fresh install when moving to Windows 7.

Now, is it worth the trouble? Well, if your applications will run properly on Windows 7 then making the switch is worthwhile. Driver support is very good and the OS is fast, especially after tweaking.

#5 katieb

katieb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:00 PM

After doing a little research, all signs are pointing to "yes" for getting rid of Vista. I've had nothing but problems. Another question: how does it work that we aren't given a CD to install from? From what I understand it is installed via a link sent by email? Also, from what I understood from the website, the promotion that college students are given is an upgrade. Whats the difference between an upgrade and the "full version"?

#6 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:43 AM

After doing a little research, all signs are pointing to "yes" for getting rid of Vista. I've had nothing but problems. Another question: how does it work that we aren't given a CD to install from? From what I understand it is installed via a link sent by email? Also, from what I understood from the website, the promotion that college students are given is an upgrade. Whats the difference between an upgrade and the "full version"?

The upgrade version requires that you have an older version of Windows installed on the hard drive or you insert the older CD/DVD in the optical drive during a fresh install to let the installer know you qualify. Upgrade versions are less expensive than full version, aka retail.

OEM versions, purchased with hardware, allow for clean installs only. This is the least expensive version of Windows. The downside is that OEM versions are tied to the hardware of the first computer it's installed on. According to the EULA, you can't normally do another install on another computer.

#7 katieb

katieb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2009 - 05:31 PM

I think my computer was purchased with Vista already installed...it has a little "Windows Vista" sticker right on it. So this means I won't be able to use the upgrade that is being offered to students? I would have to buy the full version? Sorry, I just don't know much about those sort of things

#8 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:33 AM

I think my computer was purchased with Vista already installed...it has a little "Windows Vista" sticker right on it. So this means I won't be able to use the upgrade that is being offered to students? I would have to buy the full version? Sorry, I just don't know much about those sort of things

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums...2d-8e9b01a23f30

You should have no problems with using an upgrade version of Windows 7.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users