Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer stalls/taskbar freezes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Franky-99

Franky-99

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:04 AM

Hello,

For the past few days when the computer boots, it gets to the desktop (windows xp) loads the desktop icons and taskbar but then freezes as it trys to load the taskbar icons, i can move the mouse but can't click any icons and then after a few seconds the computer makes a loud noise, which sounds like the fan going crazy or the hard drive spinning at some ludicrous speed.

I have just reformatted the pc (quick NTSF), installed all drivers and now I can browse the pc but the taskbar freezes for 10 seconds each time I select an icon through the start menu, or the taskbar freezes all together and I have to reboot, but I can still shift between open windows using the tab key.

How can I work out if this is a hardware or software related problem? and what is the next step I should do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:24 AM

If you're hearing strange noises then the system seems to start responding, it may be a hard drive issue but it would need to be verified.

You will need to know the manufacturer of your hard drive and download their "test" utility.

You can find a list of test utilities here.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 Franky-99

Franky-99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:52 AM

The strange noises have stopped, but the taskbar keeps on freezing, and this is after a fresh install, could that still point to a hard drive issue?

When taskbar stalls i can still shift between open windows using the tab key, so it just seems to be the taskbar which is acting odd, what else would you suggest?

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:20 PM

When the icons "freeze" have you noticed what "program" is loading when it does that? Possibly antivirus, printer utils, etc???
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#5 Franky-99

Franky-99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:34 PM

That was why I done a fresh install, to rule out software as I booted up in safe mode and removed all software that could be a problem, so I reformatted and haven't installed anything.

Say if I click the start button on the taskbar I can browse and open up a window, like my computer but then If I try and select the taskbar again it freezes, but mouse can move.

It happens regardless of what is open so It must be hardware related but I am not sure if its memory related, the hard drive, the fan or motherboard so is it possible for me to do tests, like the hard drive test for each component?

I just downloaded a live linux cd, if that runs smoothy, would that mean the hardware is fine and it could be a problem with the windows xp instal?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users