Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Booting Laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chuckrox8

Chuckrox8

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 28 July 2005 - 08:59 PM

I'm going to help fix a friend's laptop that supposedly takes forever to boot(all sequences I suppose). I just thought that she had a lot of spyware, apps, or the prefetch was pretty full. Apparently this problem has been happening since it came out of the box. She told me that she got a memory upgrade on it when it was purchased. It's an HP laptop running XP. All the details I know fellas. What would cause an extremely slow boot on a new fast computer running a fresh copy of XP?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 unrepper

unrepper

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2005 - 11:35 PM

Try bootlog XP install it, and see what program
is taking up the boot time.

http://www.greatis.com/utilities/bootlogxp/download.htm

Alternatively Event Viewer has times associated with the entries it logs.

Go to Start > Run and type
eventvwr.msc
click OK
Posted Image

#3 Chuckrox8

Chuckrox8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2005 - 12:28 AM

Thanks I will try that. I was searching for my problem on google and it seemed that most people who had a slow slow boot also had incredibly slow loading times for any of the taskbar apps or any other programs. One guy reported nearly 5 minutes on a 2.7ghz machine for IE.

Another person said on the nV News Forums:

Your bios should your hdd's dma setting, but double check. In windows, I used to have that problem where windows said it my hdd was running in pio and I couldnt change it. Some people fixed this by uninstalling thier ide drivers and rebooting.

Could that be the problem? I will run that program and also open up the Windows Task Manager->Processes and see if anything is eating up system memory. Thanks

#4 Chuckrox8

Chuckrox8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2005 - 11:52 PM

Any more thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users