Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

my one HD is not accessible

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 smsam

smsam

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:25 AM

i had a hard time with viruses. so i decided to format C: and reinstall XP.i am using two IDE hards of 40 gig and 160 gig. i have xp's on both the drives but i am working with the xp on 40 hard disk. so i booted with an xp CD, although i was supposed to format only the partition C: unfortunately i had formatted the whole 40 gb. that way i lost all the data on my 40.(because there it didnt show me the separate partitions of disks)

after installing the xp when i open the "my computer" i realised that the volumes on my 160 is not visible there. so i opened disk mgt in computer mgt wondering there i saw both the disks(40 and 160). but for the 160 it was visible only a one partition and there it shows, that partiton takes the whole capacity of the disk. but i had 3 partitions on my 160.(here i have attached a view of my disk mgt window pls have a loot at it. there also you can see some unusual two capacities showing for that partition in above window(12.15gb) and the bootom window(153.38gb)) .

my all the important data are on my 160. i suppose the data is still there since i didnt format that.

so can anyone please help me to access the partitions on my 160.
thanks in advance.

Attached Files

• Attached File  MMC.JPG   76.06KB   16 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:42 PM

Very strange. Why does the E: drive say it is a Boot drive? Are you booting from E: instead of C:?

First, I would try an IDE/SATA to USB adaptor, to access the "windows" disk.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16812232002

You could also Right Click the drive and assign it a drive letter but I am not sure if that will further screw up your setup.

I hope this helps.

DR

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,758 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:29 PM

You show a 2GB FAT partition...how did you install XP on these drives...from recovery/restore disks?

An XP CD would not create that.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#4 smsam

smsam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2009 - 11:25 AM

thanks for all of your comments.
i am done now. i restore the partition table of that disk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users