Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is a 16gb USB Flash Drive a good alternative?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wildcat2000

wildcat2000

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:54 AM

I was planning on getting a 500gig External Hard Drive so I ca backup some files. Ive had some computer problems recently and had to get its internal hard drive replaced. I just dont wanna loose everything a second time in case it crashes again.

I dont really need 500 extra gigs but the one I had planned on getting was a Western Digital and only $80. Its good price but I dont have alot of money to spend so I was wondering if a 16gb flash drive would be just good for backing up video files, music and whatnot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:11 AM

If you have less than 16GB of files to backup, that should work fine.
If you have less than 9GB, you could use a couple of DVDs (4.7GB per DVD).
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 wildcat2000

wildcat2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:35 AM

I have alot of stuff saved on my computer but I only wanted to backup a few select files that were pretty hard to obtain. Im thinking its less or around 15gigs. My CD Rom drive doesnt really work and last time I burned to a disc it was all messed up so I cant go that way.

Thanks for the reply. Just wanted to make sure it was still good way to keep things backedup on since its just a flash drive. I was thinking it might actually be better since flash drives dont fail like normal hard drives since its not one big spinning disc. I dont know, could be wrong.

Edited by wildcat2000, 09 October 2009 - 01:35 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:33 PM

I don't know about you...but I keep several dated backups, I don't just keep the most recent.

Things go wrong every day and I just employ the System Restore principle (multiple dated opportunities) when I back up.

If you go that route, a hard drive is better (due to storage capacity, today and in the future).

Louis

#5 wildcat2000

wildcat2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2009 - 01:29 AM

I don't know about you...but I keep several dated backups, I don't just keep the most recent.

Things go wrong every day and I just employ the System Restore principle (multiple dated opportunities) when I back up.

If you go that route, a hard drive is better (due to storage capacity, today and in the future).

Louis

Well if I would definitely like to backup everything I have. What I meant was that I was only planning on backing up certain files that could no longer be found or dont really work anymore. Stuff Ive found on the internet and since I dont have alot of money to spend I was thinking maybe a low cost alternative so I could save some of my bigger files would be good for now.

#6 brooksey!!!

brooksey!!!

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:32 AM

USB - No contest. I have had too many external HDD issues in the past. I posted earlier on another topic almost advertising these things: Corsair Flash Voyager USB flash drive - 32 GB for 56. Bargain. Not sure what that is is USD (i'm sure its roughly the same at the moment!) You can get the next step up which is double the space, but also double the price.

#7 brooksey!!!

brooksey!!!

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:38 PM

Quite interesting:

http://www.pctvhifi.co.uk/infopage.asp?infID=3659

Apparently, costs are falling, fast!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users