Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inactive lose connection

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 webdesignerken

webdesignerken

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 28 July 2005 - 08:51 PM

For the most part, whenever my computer becomes inactive( can mean up to leaving the computer for a minute), I lose connection. Once in a while I may lose connection while I'm working. My computer is wired to a wireless router, which is wired to the internet.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 31 July 2005 - 06:45 AM

Not sure if you mean lose "internet", or "router" connection, if it is interner, go into your router setup via your web browser, change your connection setting to "keep alive", or "stay connected", this will keep your line connected to the internet at all times. if it is a router connection issue you are having, you may be victim of interference, here is a note to help you troubleshooting wireless issues!---

Going wireless is an exciting milestone. Whether you're in the process of setting up your network or you've already been working happily without wires, you're probably familiar with Public Enemy Number One in the wireless world: interference.
If you've experienced interference, you know how annoying it can be: now you have a signal; now you don't. It's like hide-and-seek.without the fun. But wait! Don't throw your hands (or your laptop) in the air. We'll tell you how to determine what might be affecting your signal, and how to get back to being your old productive self.
What is it?
Think of a time when your favorite radio or television station wouldn't come in due to bad weather. When the storm passed, the signal became clear again. Similarly, because your wireless network relies on radio waves traveling through your home, your signal may waver for a variety of reasons. How will you know if you're experiencing interference in the first place? We'll help you identify and solve potential problems.
Check your signal
Thankfully, the client software that comes with almost all wireless network adapters can help you monitor your network's performance. With most systems, there will be a signal-strength meter in the Windows system tray (usually found in the bottom right corner of your screen).
In addition, the client software itself probably has a more in-depth system for testing signal strength. This feature is commonly called a link test function, although it may be called something else (depending on the manufacturer). Check your manual or the online help system, which usually measures:
Signal strength: Measured in decibels compared to one milliwatt (or dBm), the signal strength is sometimes referred to as signal level. The higher this number is, the better chance you have for a full-speed connection between your access point and your PC.
Noise level: Ideally, you want the noise level (also measured in dBm) to be as low as possible. Cordless phones and microwaves are common culprits for increasing the noise level.
Signal-to-noise ratio (SNR): This is the most telling of the numbers because it compares the strength of the signal with the noise that is interfering. SNR is measured in decibels (dB), and a higher number is good news.
Placing your access point
The location of your access point (AP) is key. With a little planning, you can avoid potential interference and save yourself time, money, and frustration.

Here are some pointers:
Pick a place near the center of your home.
Avoid mounting your AP on the wall. The best place is six or more inches from the wall.
Keep the AP out of the line of sight of microwaves, cordless phones, refrigerators, and other appliances that contain metal.
Your computer can cause interference, so try keeping the AP separate.
Avoid putting the AP low to the ground. Instead, keep it on a table or a shelf.
If your house is large, you may need two access points.
Troubleshooting tips
If your wireless network is all set up and you're experiencing interference, here are some ideas for improving the signal:
Move the access point. See the above section for pointers, and if all else fails, walk around with the AP while someone else monitors your signal strength.
Change channels. If you've got a neighbor with a wireless network, you may be operating on the same channel. You can change the channel in the software that came with your wireless access point.
Move the antenna. Not all antennas have the same range of coverage, so finding the best position is a matter of trial-and-error. Try moving yours around and changing the angle.
Change phones. If you have an 802.11b or g network, consider one of the newer 5GHz cordless phones. If you have an 802.11a, try a 2.4GHz phone. Better yet, an older 900MHz phone won't interfere with either type of network.
Check other network obstructions. Other network obstructions include ceramic tile, concrete, and even stacks of newspapers, as well as Bluetooth-enabled devices such as laptops and PDAs.
Consider an upgrade. If you're using 802.11b, you might have better luck with the newer 802.11g devices that have more non-overlapping channels and less interference. Plus, they're almost five times as fast!
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 webdesignerken

webdesignerken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2005 - 07:36 PM

Well, I resetted the routers. and will try the interference issues. it all started when I set up the second router as an Access Point to form a bridge. Could it be interference? or is there another issue?

#4 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2005 - 06:17 PM

here try this also, set up your computers static, that way they don't go looking for an ip if you get disconnected. maybe try disableing your WEP if you have one, and if you do that, reset your password and username to your router, and disable "broadcast ssid".
you shouldn't get interference form the bridge, even if they are different names and standards(802.11g 802.11b), although i have recently seen an issue regarding standard compatibility and legnthy wlan communications.

#5 webdesignerken

webdesignerken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2005 - 11:34 PM

Well here's the deal. I tried static routing....not working. my router downstairs doesn't enable wireless (the wireless light isn't on). But thecomputer upstairs can get internet at times. and if it got off I could repair the connection. The reason why we have two routers is to extend the range, but something tells me the range isn't big. So I moved the router closer (more in between the upstairs and downstairs computer). and the wireless light is on the first computer. What I do not understand is then if distance was an issue, then how did the computer upstairs get internet. Even now, my upstairs computer loses connection. My downstairs though has improved greatly.

#6 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2005 - 12:38 AM

what have we got to deal with amyway? 2 wireless computers, and two wireless routers?
or are 1 of each wired?
:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users