Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

An UNKNOWN brand NEW Problem that NO ONE knows about!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bsas1702

bsas1702

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:06 PM

OK, Get this. 6 Computers of different brands, models etc. all over my city...have experienced the unknown. I am completely stumped and so are my other Level 3 Senior Techs. None of us have EVER seen this happen before.

I have included a list of details as to what had happened to all of the computers. I will continue to research and try to figure out what happened and how it happened. question is, where to begin.

All computers suffered the following:

computers running normally

out of nowhere, between 9am and 12pm on October 7, 2009, programs started to not respond (programs such as IE, MSOffice, Start Menu's, etc.)
System started lagging suffering Excrusiating slowness
Computers are rebooted
Upon login, full startup and idle takes at least an hour to complete (sometimes wouldnt complete at all as processors are maxed out)
Once completed, task manager>Performance shows all cores/processors maxed out steadily at 100% and not moving
No one opened any emails or downloaded anything. Just normal everyday tasks.
No extra software/processes were found to be running. Just normal everyday stuff, yet processors were maxed out.
Everday programs such as Microsoft Word take over an hour to open
Start menu stakes 7-15 minutes to open
msconfig would not open in order to set configuration to Diagnostic Mode. it was Unsuccessfully completed.
No errors or warnings are given as to malware, spyware, viruses, and so on.
Between 11am and 12pm on October 8, 2009, all computers return to normal and are functioning normally, as if nothing ever happened.

Operating Systems vary from Windows XP to Windows Vista. All computers have different motherboards and processors. No computer is alike in any way. My Computer is one of the 6 that this happened to. All I had open was a Chat room that I have open every day, Windows Media Player, and yahoo messenger. i have an ASUS Motherboard with an AMD Phenom II Quad Core Processor and 8G of RAM. Have NEVER had any problems. All Security Software is up-to-date and working properly...even on the other machines.

That is all I know. all Computers affected showed the exact same signs and symptoms and all computers returned to normal at the same time. I was unable to access security logs and other logs as I had to reformat my computer in order to get back online to begin research.

If ANYONE knows about this...or knows what COULD have caused this mysterious systematic problem...please...help me out. I have no idea where to begin my research. When the computers returned to normal...no further damage was aquired. everything was perfect.

Thanks a million!

Chris S.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:32 AM

I am clueless but am curious as to what city this occured in

#3 pyr8t

pyr8t

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:51 AM

any idea what process was sucking up the CPU? or what kind of disk activity you were getting? network activity?
i'm assuming since you say across the city, none of these were the same LAN, but not something like a VPN logon type issue with slow ISP speeds on a specific carrier...
one other thought, MS update, Malicious software removal? specific infection caused it to get bogged down. just grasping here.

#4 bsas1702

bsas1702
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:08 AM

"any idea what process was sucking up the CPU? or what kind of disk activity you were getting? network activity?
i'm assuming since you say across the city, none of these were the same LAN, but not something like a VPN logon type issue with slow ISP speeds on a specific carrier...
one other thought, MS update, Malicious software removal? specific infection caused it to get bogged down. just grasping here. "

Processes were normal. We checked that out. nothing unusual. Disk activity was minimal to none. No network activity as once this started, we unplugged all network cords.
As far as Lan, VPN....negative. there are only 3 computers (leasing office) that are connected to the same netowrk. My computer is on a different one, and the other two are on their own networks as well. No VPN, no Remote Connections. ISP are the same on all computers...Time Warner Cable High Speed Cable.

MS Update -all updates were installed. Virus Scan recorded nothing. same goes with the firewalls on all computers. Nothing is out of the ordinary or suspicious. Event Logs, Security Logs...everything...normal. There is absolutely no footprint, no recollections....or anything...that would indicate this had ever happened.

I contacted Time Warner and they said no outages, no security threats, everything was normal. Ive got 3 techs also working on this problem. The problem no longer exists. We are just trying to figure out what happened, how it happened, and how to fix it for future reference.

This had occured in Kansas City, Missouri.

Edited by bsas1702, 09 October 2009 - 01:11 AM.

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:31 PM

Which Firewall are the PCs, using or are they different?.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#6 bsas1702

bsas1702
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:56 PM

Comodo Internet Security-Anti-virus and Firewall. Plus the built in firewall of our Routers.

#7 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 10 October 2009 - 10:28 AM

Well, I doubt it is malware related. Since the only commonality is the ISP, it may be a case where they aren't being straightforward with you--CYA.

Otherwise this problem sounds very ephemeral and perhaps something on the molecular or atomic level. Sunspots/solar flares? Something of that nature.
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2009/21...paceweather.htm

In any event, good luck. Those techs should really be earning their money on this one.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#8 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 10 October 2009 - 11:40 AM

Perhaps you should read the following thread copied from the Comodo Forums. There was a glitch with one of the updates this week which caused a snarl up with cmdagent eating up CPU. It is possible that this is what happened in your case.
https://forums.comodo.com/feedbackcommentsa...s-t46150.0.html
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#9 bsas1702

bsas1702
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2009 - 05:14 PM

thats it! Thats what I was looking for! Thank you so much! Now I can relieve my other 3 technicians and show them what the hell happened.

Nothing furhter needs to be done as all 6 computers fixed themselves and are now working properly the way they should be.

Thanks guys

Chris S.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users